Wilcards needed

Hi!

I use SmartFtp for a long time (2 years I think) and it's the best ftp client I know.

BUT, there is a huge limiation...

I work with a server that generate about 50 000 documents per day (print spool) that is archived.

So, when I want to access to the folder where are theses files (there is no archive folders, because system must be able to re-print an old document and is unable to search it on the disk) smartftp hangs.

Why ?
Because there is about 10 000 000 files in this folder... And SmartFtp tries to load the list !

So, I need to use MS-DOS command-line FTP, or then an old version of ws_ftp that allow using wildcards.

Please, add it in SmartFtp, and I should purchase it !
Currently, even if it is the best ftp client I know, this limitation is too much important to decide myself buying it...

Wilcards should be very easy to add although.

By exemple, on file on the server :

"SOC1_11137.spl20040320_000532"

I would find it by typing "SOC1_11137.spl20040320_*
=> That would filter documents "SPL" edited by SOC1 for customer 11137 on the 20th March 2004. So I would avoid SmartFtp to download all of the folder

We have the same requirement to filter the returned file list from the LIST command. Most FTP programs do have this option and I really miss it......

I tried to get this done with the custom commands using a command like LIST -al MB* to show only the files starting with 'MB' but the output is not shown.

Is there a change that this request will be build in or is it already available?

We would consider implementing it if you would support part of the engineering resources involved. Please make your offers to sales at smartftp.com

Thank you.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Sorry but no, I am not intending to pay for these kind enhancements to your product. We have a 100 users license and I noticed that most of these users miss this functionality in SmartFTP. So it is a suggestion to improve the functionality of your product.

We will see what we will do if we need additional licenses, there might be another FTP program that better fits to our requirements.

The feature requested has been implemented in the latest version:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Listing commands as LIST, MLSD can now entered in the command line and are directly forwarded to the FTP server. e.g. entering "LIST a*" would result in a listing which displays all files starting with a if the FTP server supports wildchars.

MagicBuzz:
The way you want this to work only works with an FTP client where you can control the CWD and LIST commands separately. This is only possible with a command line FTP client.

Regards,
-Mat