Remember layout

Love this program! But would like it to remember how I had it laid out last time I used it. It seems to want to squish the columns together and I have to reorganize it everytime I reopen it. If it could also remember that I like the windows organized horizontally, vertically or cascading, that would also be great. Thanks! And apologies if this was previously discussed. I couldn't find it with a search based on my descriptive terms.

Yes, a better window management would be great! Remember windows size and position...having all those "flying" windows is not always that fun!

I agree with the persistent layout suggestion, but I would also like to recommend along this subject that there be an option of a "static" window that has both the server window and the local browser window. When you log in to a server, it will automatically show the last local directory you were in when you disconnected last, or maybe have the option to set a directory as the default.

When you add a site to your Favorites, the window
location, size and column settings are remembered.

More info. can be found by using using the Search

Louie wrote:When you add a site to your Favorites, the window
location, size and column settings are remembered.

Really? Cool, I'm gonna try this right now!

well, I tryed...Uhm...

Yes, it remembers window size and position for the connected site, but not the size of inner splitting between tree and file view in that window. I mean, I set it about 30/70% for tree/file view, and reopening the connection I found it 70/30%.

Obviously it's just a usability matter, the prog is great anyway...but since many noticed this maybe you can put it in your todo list, no?

Anyway, again and again, great work guys!

Window resizing between the tree and list view is not perfected yet.

But I have had a talk with Mathias about this already just recently.

I like to have window positions to always be remembered as well.

I hate moving window dialogs around and resizing windows, then the
next time you open the software, all is lost. Not very user friendly at all.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback, we very much appreciate it!

Hello Louie,

any word from Mathias on this matter yet?

Please don

Thanks.

What is your Menu: Window->Auto Arrange setting?

Hello Mat,

actually 'Window->Auto Arrange' was inactive when i did the testing.

Should it affect the behavior in the way i described if switched on?

Just tried to activate it and the result is that:

- if no ftp connection window is open a 'local browser' window will take all space when open
- if i start a connection it will be split 50/50 again.
- if i close SmartFTP and reopen 'local browser will again occupy all free space

Therefore with this option in use i still end up resizing one of the windows for example to one third of the screen and the other one taking two third.

So when 'Auto Arrange' is not active SmartFTP should (imho) be doing the following:

When closing Smart FTP:
- save window state to configfile or registry (which windows are open, how are their coordinates)

When opening SmartFTP
- load last known window state from configfile or registry
- reopen those windows (local browser(s), transfer ... except for ftp window)
- recreate those windows at the old coordinates in the old size and leave the place of the last 'ftp window' just blank

When closing only the ftp-window:
- leave all other windows as they are
- store coordinates and size of the ftp-window the user just closed
- when opening a new ftp connection: take the same position and size as the last ftp-window

After all i think mine and probably the problem of some others who wrote in this and similar threads is that we don

Hello ..

The window placement and the vertical splitter position of the localbrowsers are now saved and restored on startup.

Get developer build:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Regards,

Well done, that looks good in the development build. :wink:

So now i

The default split horizontal view is with local on top, remote below. I'm used to the other way round, I have at least once saved old server files over new local files (with much wailing and gnashing of teeth). Swapping them round is NOT remembered, how do I change this?

Getho

I click on the icon to make it come back up but it doesn't. Help!
:cry:

A new workspace manager has been implemented. Install the latest version from:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

The new feature can be accessed in the menu: Window->Workspace

If you don't want to have the workspace/layout automatically saved on exit, you can disabled it in the Global Settings->Interface dialog.

Regards,
-Mat