SmartFTP server

I would like to see another application from smartftp that would function as a server application instead of a client!

I know in the ftp server community that bullet proof ftp is the easiest to set up and that blackmoon ftp is the best as far as features, However smartftp is the best client because #1 its freeware for personal and educational usage and #2 it has more features and a better gui than any other in my opinion.

So cheers to the people who make it and hope you have time for a project like this!

there are sooooooooooo many even open source ftp servers. choose one of them. o.O

darix

there are sooooooooooo many even open source ftp servers. choose one of them. o.O

darix

correction, there are soooooooooo many LAME ftp servers.

RaidenFTPd : poor user/group control and tweaked for warez servers
BulletProofFTPd : poor security, not NT service
GuildFTPd : poor feature set
ArgoSoftFTPd : poor user/group control
WS_FTPd : Expensive and looks like it was written for Windows 95
Serv-U FTPd : free version lacks decent functionality
War FTPd : don't even start me

and above all, the interfaces to these things SUCK!

I think the SmartFTP guys could wipe the floor with the current FTP server market at the moment.

Hi I'm new to the community, but I couldn't agree more. SmartFTP is a superior product without doubt, and it could only be enhanced with an FTPServer designed to work with it. With such a pair working in tandem some proprietary compression software could be developed to increase effective throughput perhaps, or any of a number of features that would give the "Smart" line of software a deservedly increased advantage over the current competition. I am not part of the Technogensia so the User friendliness of the Smart line GUI is very much appreciated.

All I have to say to the development team is... keep up the good work!

oh, and

5. runs on Windows

pure-ftpd runs on windows o.O

darix

4. Easy to maintain (BulletProof, although quirky at times, is a snap)

i guess that means you want a gui for the Server?

darix

yah i can see how there are lots of alternatives i use blackmoon ftp server

but i would really like a smart ftp server because there are so many updates for the client that its always changing which is really nice plenty of new features and other benefits what I just havent found in blackmoon

1. it takes the dev a lot of time to work on smartftp already.
2. how much would you pay for smartftp server? just for my curiosity?

darix

I remember back when there was a smartftp server, it was alpha or beta last time I tried it and now I can't find any trace. It was really buggy and unstable back then

Well, it would depend on the features. ease of use. stability.

features as such...
- very little cpu usage and memory.
- user friendly interface.
- ability to set groups in the users.
- timeout.
- IP access control.
- Bandwidth control. (throttling)
- multiple servers all running simultaneously on different IP address/port combinations
- SSL
- virtual folders (virtual directory roots)
- set user permissions (file and directory permission on virtual folders)
- user quotas (account size, bandwidth usage, etc)
- generate html statistics, detailed logging.
- remote admin
- resume broken transfers
- extremely large file support
- etc etc

not too much to ask for I hope.

I run ftp hosting and webhosting.
I recommend to all my customers that they should use smartftp for its ease of use and stability.
I would LOVE to see a smartftpserver for smartftp client. ,
Aye, a mate smart ftp client needs :wink: :wink:

hmmm

60$$ USD +/- ?

........already falling in love with a program that doesn't exist.......
8O

tried raiden ftpd? (google for it)
on linux i still prefer pureftpd (okok it works on windows too)

darix

raiden ftp is very unstable on my system for some reason.
I have used all the ftp servers listed on download.com, looking for a good one.
I am currently using cereberus ftp. which has been very stable, only it limits user downloads to under 100k..

darix wrote:there are sooooooooooo many even open source ftp servers. choose one of them. o.O

darix

Well, while it is certainly true that there are "sooooooooooo many even open source ftp servers" out there, there are also many ftp clients out there. Still using SmartFTP instead. In other words, what is the point ? I think it would be terrific to have a SmartFTP server that would provide SmartFTP's easy-of-use, stability, feature set and innovation.