Tar, Upload, Un-Tar Feature

I think it could be extremely useful to integrate the tar compression libraries and put in a feature that would "Tar, Upload, Un-Tar" or "Tar, Download, Un-Tar." This would speed up the transfer of large and complex directories by several orders of magnitude. Instead of taking upwards of 10 minutes to transfer a few thousand files in several hundred folders, this time could be cut down to the time it would take to upload/download the size of the structure plus 1 or 2 seconds for the archive/unarchive processes. A similar feature using zip compression could be used for Windows servers I suppose. Just my two cents.

I like that feature a lot for example for downloading hundreds of small files.

aorkromes for downloading you need serverside support. :)

darix

I think it could be extremely useful to integrate the tar compression libraries and put in a feature that would "Tar, Upload, Un-Tar" or "Tar, Download, Un-Tar." This would speed up the transfer of large and complex directories by several orders of magnitude. Instead of taking upwards of 10 minutes to transfer a few thousand files in several hundred folders, this time could be cut down to the time it would take to upload/download the size of the structure plus 1 or 2 seconds for the archive/unarchive processes. A similar feature using zip compression could be used for Windows servers I suppose. Just my two cents.

Could you add the feature of "Tar and Upload" (without the Un-Tar) or "Zip and Upload" on windows? If the user selects a folder, the program will zip the whole folder and use the folder name as the zipped file name.

Thanks!