local on left, remote on right :)

a simple request. (i think.)

when i have two windows open in smartftp - one local browser, and one remote ftp connection - i'd like to somehow have control over how the "vertical tile auto arrange" arranges the windows.

personally i like to have the local browser on the left, and the remote connection on the right. however, most of the time when i have "auto arrange" turned on, smartftp will put the windows the other way around, thus confusing the hell out of me. even if i do manage to get the windows how i want them, if i then decide to re-size the main program window, smartftp will often swap their positions to the opposite of what i want.

so would it be possible to have an option in the configuration somewhere that says: "when 1 remote and 1 local browser are open, bias the local browser to: [] left, or [] right"? this would really, really make my day!

other than this, smartftp is f'ing fantastic piece of software. keep up the good work!!

I really agree with this! Most folks are used to moving files from left to right. So for those that are always downloading files, this may make sense. But for those of use maintaining web sites, we need to upload files and this arrangement is backwards.

A more general approach is to just save the entire window arrangement set-up (see my post above) This would allow anyone to set whatever they want.

Even with this flaw, I really do like SmartFTP. A bit of feedaback on whether or not this feature will be implemented would be nice though. (hint, hint) :wink:

You guys are totally wierd :wink:

Personally, I think that it makes most sense to have remote on the top, local on the bottom (uploading goes up, downloading goes down....makes sense doesn't it?)

You can, however, decide which window will be left and which will be left with this simple rule:

The selected (or focused) window will be on the left when you select "Tile Vertically" (Window > Tile Vertically). So, simply turn auto-tile off, select the local browser, and click the Tile Vertically button on the toolbar

Nonetheless, SmartFTP is probably the perfect FTP client (or closest to perfect), becuase it can accomodate to all who like to customize their environment, whether it be top-and-bottom ftp, or left-and-right, or however one choose to customize their application. Good job SmartFTP team

If you click the 'local folder bar' button at the top, it puts a embedded local viewer on the left of the smartftp window..

it doesnt seem possible to move it to the right, so im not sure what you guys are doing different.

If you click the 'local folder bar' button at the top, it puts a embedded local viewer on the left of the smartftp window..

it doesnt seem possible to move it to the right, so im not sure what you guys are doing different.

Right click on the titlebar of the "Local Folder Bar" it gives you the option
to move to right.

I think SmartFTP is great as is. You can arrange windows anyway you like. For me, I use multiple FTP sites (3, 4 or more) cascading style.

The problem I have with the window location is that the program does not remember the way you want to windows to appear.

I start the smartftp program, connect to my ftp site, put focus on my local folder and then tile vertically. That's good my local window is to the left and destination window to the right. I then resize the panes within each window to a priper setting.

If I exit smartftp then open it up again I have to redi everything listed above. I think smartftp is great but I stopped using it ciz after about the 10th time of rearringing the windows it starts to suck.

Hmmm...

Perhaps there could be a setting for each individual favorite item (and a default global setting) for the window position of a remote window, and of the local browser.

Here's an idea of how it could be done: Right click sub-window title bar, and one-item menu appears that says "Remember Size and Position" (see screen mock-up below)

This will adjust the settings in the favorites item, not the global setting.

Additionaly, there could be an option in the favorites and global settings to type in the coordinates of the window.

I completely agree with erp who began this thread. I actually signed up to use this forum to ask the same question.

The fact that the list of local folders can be locked on the left side is very nice, although, I too would like both a folders and files panel -- or an explorer window on the left side. More times than not, the vertical arrange places my local files on the right side. For me, I'm more comfortable with local on the left, remote on the right.

I just made the switch from LeapFTP, which I've been using for 2 years and have been VERY happy with. Recently I began to have connectivity problems, which is where my discovery of SmartFTP came in. I'm completely impressed -- just irritated that I cannot save layout preferences.

Well i just installed it, registered to the forum right away just to request also some kind of layout saving.

It is really annoying to do this everytime you open the program again.

Thanx for listening.

erp wrote:
so would it be possible to have an option in the configuration somewhere that says: "when 1 remote and 1 local browser are open, bias the local browser to: [] left, or [] right"? this would really, really make my day! :)

hmm the window, you selected last, becomes the left window. if you want local left select it and press the vertical split button.

and you are done.

really hard for sure ;)

darix

I just checked back on here to see if this discussion had progressed and it really hasn't.

I cannot express how many times I've overwritten files on my many websites because of the location of the remote/local windows switching around and not being able to be fixed.

I transitioned from LeapFTP (which is, in my opinion, the best FTP client that you can possibly use for it's interface and straight-forward manner) to SmartFTP because I was experiencing some strange connection problems that SmartFTP blasted right past. Somehow, SmartFTP's methods for accessing FTP sites is much faster and efficient -- plus SmartFTP's ability to reconnect to a site when a file transfer is requested is another GREAT feature.

--

So - I was rather irritated when a few people on this thread mentioned the inline "Local Folders" window that is attached to the left side of SmartFTP. This is not a solution since "Local Folders" lacks a file listing attached to those folders. If the "Local Folders" window could be extended to list local files also, then that would be a simple, perfect solution.

By the logic that it is simple for us to do a two step process each time we connect to a website, it should also be simple for this preference to be saved.

SmartFTP is the most incredible client I've used - which is why those requesting this feature and flabberghasted that this simple funcitionality is unavailable.

Hi,

I registered to this Forum to ask about the same thing...

I also would like to set the LOCAL Windows to be allways on the left. Since you can set the Local Folder Windows to lock to a certain position, please also include this funktion for the local window.

Would be great to see this option in a future version of SmartFTP, the program ist really great.

Same as above...
I just registered to ask for the same feature.
I really don't see why this feature wouldn't be implemented, since it would fulfill some of the users base requests, without taking anything away from those who don't need the feature (just make it a checkbox or something like that, under 'Settings > Display > General' for example).

This is really something i'm looking forward to

EDIT : by "same feature" i meant : "the opportunity to stick/unstik the local browser on the left-hand side of the window"

After using SmartFTP for more than a year, I finally signed up to this forum to make a simple request:
I would really like Smart to remember how I arrange my windows and that the local file browser should always be located to the left (this kind of positioning is used in every other FTP client I have used).

I see now that I'm not the only one wanting this feature. However, I would like to add another idea.

Additional idea
It would make a big difference if every pair of local/remote window were contained in a window of their own (i.e. for every connection there is a window that consists of one window for local files and one window for remote files). Because when I am connected to multiple servers I might have three windows that display the files on the servers and three windows that display the local files. It therefore because somewhat annoying to have to flip through all six tabs to figure out which local window belongs to which remote window. This would also reduced the number of windows/tabs one has to deal with.

This minor annoyance with Smart acctually made me change client to FlashFXP for a while, but I eventually went back to Smart because of the excellent multiple connections support.