Multi part transfer

I was using CuteFtp pro earlier but I had some problem with it so I started to look for a replacement and found smartFtp which I am very happy with. However there is were one feature in CuteFtp pro I found useful and that was Multi part transfer.

If I download one file I just get some 5KB/s but if I transfer several files I get aprox. 25 KB/s. Multi part download divided a file transfer into several parts in order to increase the speed when transfering just one or a couple of files. So could you please implement a multi part download in smartFtp?

It's not planned in the near future.

There are several reasons:
- Most FTP servers are faster than the connection of the user.
Only a small percentage of them are really slow. I guess you know
which ones :-)

- Linux / Shareware / Freeware sites have mirrors where you can
download faster.

- The performance increase is minimal. 10 simultaneous downloads for
one file doesn't mean its 10 times faster, unless each connection is
soft limited to a few kilobytes. In this case there's probably a reason
why there's a limit.

- Splitting the file into multiple parts (using multiple threads) makes the
download slower for other users.

etc

-Mat

Strange since in my case the server has a much faster connection than the client. But the client and servers are in different countries, perhaps there are something between them that causes this behavior. As far as I know there are no software limitation on the server. Is there something I can check? The server is a PC running Win XP.

However I have access to the server through Remote Desktop Connection, this means that I can split the file up into several pieces and do a "hand made" multi transfer anyway.

HI.
Are you saying that inorder to transfer a web file with lets say 20 items in it fron my local server to my remote server using SmartFTP that I will have to highlite each item individually and transfer them one at a time.
And That I can not "Select All" in my local server and then "click the transfer button" to my remote server?

If you don't allow multi item transfer from local to remote. Do you know who does. (Besides the one just mentioned that gave trouble).

I have over 20 web sites that I have to keep updated and I need an FTP that will allow me to transfer and update quickly and effecently.
HELP!!!

mb i dont think you are right.

if you transfer files over long distances file splitting can really speed up the transfer.
up to 500% with 5 connections

I have to put in my vote for the multipart file transfer. I registered GetRight primarily for the multipart file transfer functionality. The combination of multipart transfer and automatic mirror lookup in GetRight tremendously speed up downloads and I believe that SmartFTP would also benefit from this mechanism.

jerome

I have to vote against it, because they are right:

The multipart transfer that you are talking about(via getright) is downloading the same from multple FTP servers, not the same file from the same FTP server.

Multi-part transfers (downloads) have been implemented in the latest version. Since SmartFTP already uses multiple threads/workers to download files the multi-part transfer feature only help s in situations where you have one big file that is served from a server with a per connection speed limit.

You can get the latest version from:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Regards,
Mat