deleting file after download

i'd really like to see a delete after download option...

eg it deletes the file after downloading...

thanks

I'd like to see that as well!

I'd like to join the club also

Anyone know a work-around for this.

I am going to try use GuildFTPd as a server and SmartFTP as client. The server will be creating large files continuously that need to be deleted as soon as they are downloaded by the client. I don't mind if its the client or the server that does this deleting.

Both will be running under Windows 2000. I noticed that GuildFTPd has an Event Manager, with 'On Download' as an event. I am hoping to find a way using that, but if there is something I can do on the client side, then that would be just as good, if not better.

thanks

Vin

likewise, supporting the "shift" modifier key for drag & drop to move files instead of copying would be nice. this should work for both directions: when uploading delete the local file, when downloading delete the file on the server.

I agree!
I also like to see this feature!
I copy a lot.. and sometimes I forget to delete the file on the remote computer.. which leads to a mess and full harddisk...

This would save me so much hassle...It seems so trivial to implement; just add a delete following the transfer. I strongly vote for such a "move file" option.

Well, it is easy to implement. I guess the reason why is was not implemented yet is the problems that occur if the transfer got corrupted somehow (not aborted; just imagine some buggy FTP server which sends crap when resuming a download or something). So you will have a broken download without noticing, the remote file will be deleted, and you have no chance downloading it again ...

Well, it is easy to implement. I guess the reason why is was not implemented yet is the problems that ossur if the transfer got corrupted somehow (not aborted; just imageine some buggy FTP server which sends crap when resuming a download or something). So you will have a broken download without noticing, the remote file will be deleted, and you have no change downloading it again ...

Isn't that the point of the whole integrity checking feature?

Furthermore, I understand the risk, but I also think it's being a little overprotective. I don't hash my transfers every time, I just upload and immediately (manually) delete, so if it's corrupted I will have just screwed myself anyway! :) I just prefer to have the whole process automated, for better or worse.

I certainly don't recommend making it the default action; just an option.

Isn't that the point of the whole integrity checking feature?
Yes, but hardly everyone has SFV / MD5SUM files for their files, e.g. web designers who upload their home page will certainly not create hashes for their files every time they change something. I agree it would be nice as an option, though.

add my vote for this feature also. i'll live with the problems if the download fails and the file(s) is/are deleted

I'm voting for such an option as well.

A work-around, if available, is to set-up a CRON job (assuming Unix/Linux, etc) to delete the unwanted files.

I'm downloading files from my HD-recorder. This machine works as a FTP server and SmartFTP downloads all at night. I also have the problem that i must delete the FTP server manualy. It sure would be great if this is done after transfer.

Will this feature be available in the near future?

What about the following:
- Add additional option to the queue item
[x] Delete file(s) from source if successfully transferred

This option need to be enabled manually for each folder/file in the Transfer Queue. If the option is enabled for a folder it will be inherited to its child items (files and sub folders).

Or would you rather see this option in the favorite item settings?

Request for comments. Thanks.

Regrds,
-Mat

Just an additional note: This option should be automatically set when adding an item to the queue and Shift is pressed (Drag & Drop with Shift pressed is a "Move" operation in Windows Explorer). For consistency, Drag & Drop with Shift should also move the file when when not using the queue (i.e. direct transfer).

The "move" function is only planned for the Transfer Queue.

-Mat

What about the following:
- Add additional option to the queue item
[x] Delete file(s) from source if successfully transferred

This option need to be enabled manually for each folder/file in the Transfer Queue. If the option is enabled for a folder it will be inherited to its child items (files and sub folders).

Or would you rather see this option in the favorite item settings?

Request for comments. Thanks.

Regrds,
-Mat

I would choose the favourite item settings, but of course add it to the properties for an item in the queue as well, that would allow for maximum freedom of choice.

Thx

Stef

any new about this option to implemente?

I'd like to use kind of feature !

The move operation is supported in the Transfer Queue. Right-click on the item(s) then click on "Properties" and select the action properties dialog.
Regards,
-Mat

The move operation is supported in the Transfer Queue. Right-click on the item(s) then click on "Properties" and select the action properties dialog.
Regards,
-Mat

oh !

excellent... I did look at at the first step , in the Temporary queue, when I set the job, and schedule.... I did not think about looking at the transfert Queue.

Thanks very much!

Regards,
-Mat

Not that I don't appreciate having this feature, but why does it have to be so difficult to access? Consider when someone has the queue set to auto-start (my current config). Any file that will transfer in under five or ten seconds will be finished before the option can even be accessed. On a LAN, this may be the majority of files. Can't something this simple be implemented in a one-click way or with a global setting?

ANother issue I have is... that I set a folder to transfert. In fact all the file into this folder.
But I don't want to delete the folder, but only the files once they are upload...

how could I do it?

What does the delete recursive function is for?

In the latest verison (2.0.1000.6) there is partial support for a move operation using drag&drop. Due to a technical limitation in MS Windows the move operation is not supported if something is dropped to the Windows Explorer or the Local Browser. In this case the operation will always be a copy operation and you have to manually change it in the Transfer Queue.

Grizz: There are no plans to support what you requested.