One Word: OpenSSH

I need OpenSSH support.. like VanDyke's SecureFX does.. I want to be able to use my SmartFTP again

It's been 6 months since I've been able to use it.. :cry:

- Cecil

with the advent of secure services over traditional ones, support for SFTP would definitely make my day. It would ease the transition away from unencrypted FTP if a great free FTP client supported SFTP. This is a great suggestion and I'm sure many people could use this, just like they can use SSL/TLS encryption for FTP. After all, most linux servers run SSH and thus already HAVE and sftp server.

I need OpenSSH support.. like VanDyke's SecureFX does.. I want to be able to use my SmartFTP again    

It's been 6 months since I've been able to use it..  :cry:  

- Cecil

I agree with your wish!
I also want to use SmartFTP because of it's nice GUI and advanced options.
So, build in SSH and I am satisfied!

I also join in with the request.

oh my god so many requests for this feature!!!

i think this is a must have if so many people want it.

we'll see what the devs think (or super-devs )

Yes, yes!!

SmartFTP is the best ftp-client that I have ever seen. Including sftp would make it nearly perfect. (Porting it to Linux is what would make it absolutely perfect, if you were wondering )

-Laif

oh my god so many requests for this feature!!!

i think this is a must have if so many people want it.

we'll see what the devs think (or super-devs )

May one ask, what is statuts of ssh/sftp support?

NixDa

Ps.: Or can someone explain me, who to realize Port Forwarding / Tunneling under SecureCRT/SSH Secure Shell to use SmartFTP with an SSH FTP Server ...?

Hello all,

First of all I would like to say smartFTP rules

I read this thread and along with the other posts agree that SSH support would be a great addition, I have just got into LINUX and refuse to leave my server open to FTP traffic, I am currently using a Windows command line SFTP Client which is a real pain, SSH support in SmartFTP would make my site management a lot more bearable.

One addition including SSH would be ensure the SSH Port is configurable as a lot of people I know don't use the default Port number.

Keep up the great work

After getting used to it, I can't imagine using anything BUT SmartFTP. However, I work for a major telecom company (no names, but we just filed Chapter 11), and in August they are shutting down FTP on ALL intranet machines and offering ONLY SFTP.

Please, please, please don't make me find and learn another <lesser> FTP program.

Would it help if I offered a donation?

Respectfully,
Charles

a donation would always help 8)

First off SmartFTP Rocks

But SFTP using SSH Would be a great help

Yes, please add SFTP and this will be the best FTP client ever. It already is the best free FTP client, but SFTP support will make it the best period.

Hey, it's been a long time sime I've replied to this thread.. any word or update on the OpenSSH support? Where do I have to make a contribution for this to happen? and how much do you want?

Thanks,
- Cecil

You can, but it would not speed up any feature enhancement request.
We add features as we can, and after the current bugs are fixed.

If your server supports ssh, use putty with port forwarding; Problem solved.

<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/>

I have been using it successfully for some time now.

Under tunnels, select local port 21; forward port that to ftp.yourhost.com:21; Start smart ftp and connect to localhost.

Works.

Michael

Check out the SSH Client by SSH (ssh.com). You can download it from ftp.ssh.com but it is a non-commercial version. It has a graphical SFTP Client, which doesn't really compare to SmartFTP, but until (hopefully) there is support for SFTP in SmartFTP, this works too. I am sure that Putty works (just as many other SSH clients) if you are connecting to another machine on the Network once SSH'd in, but when connecting directly to to an individual server that is running SFTP and not FTP, you cannot use it to tunnel back to a standard FTP client as it does not support the SFTP protocol.

Hopefully support for SFTP, including port selection and protocol 2, will be a feature soon. SmartFTP is so cool that sometimes you just have to fire it up and connect to somebody just to watch it go to work! SmartFTP rules!

B}

You can but it would not speed up any feature request. We add features
as we can and after the current bugs are fixed.

So, may we ask:
a) is ssh support on your to do list?
how much is to do before?
c) so, when we can expect this feature (3,6 or 12 months)?
no prommisses ... just that on can get an idea about that
status.

NixDa

I (we) know this program (fits on every FD), but it is NO replacement for smartFTP (+ssh support).
Better use the sftp Part of ssh.com (free) program suite.

hmm for most of the jobs its enough. some good free sftp client really would rock, but i think its not this simple todo
otherwise there would be more free sftp client available.

but scp works well with most of the servers.

darix

The SSH protocol is not so simple to implement, since it is a completely different protocol from FTP.

mike: maybe you could do the same trick as winscp

it uses the putty core
or you could use plink.exe like ixplore (although winscp is much better) :))

darix

The SSH protocol is not so simple to implement, since it is a completely different protocol from FTP.

:wink:
But will/ are you try it? I thought with OpenSHH code , one would have a good base to migrate it to WinXYZ?

NixDa

hmm

the problem could be:
openssh relies on a unix like os.
all current ports use cygwin because of it.

so if you want to use a code base think about putty.
its opensource too and a native win32 application.

darix

I just found SmartFTP today and I love it except for it's lack of SSH support When SSH is supported I will be extreamly happy to get rid of CuteFTP Pro and switch over (making a few donations of course).

So count this as another vote for SSH.

Thanks!

If your server supports ssh, use putty with port forwarding;  Problem solved.

<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/>

I have been using it successfully for some time now.

Under tunnels, select local port 21; forward port that to ftp.yourhost.com:21; Start smart ftp and connect to localhost.

Works.

Michael

Ah.... by this, wouldn't you be forwarding only the command channel which is on port 21?
The actual data channel is on port 20 but only if you are in active mode. Problem is: Active mode seems to be 'not allowed' when ever I tried it with putty.
Any ideas greatly appreciated

Fish protocol (sftp) should be simple to implement and you only need ssh part for tunneling the command/data connections. maybe putty is worth a look and/or filezilla :)

I love smartftp, it is the best i have ever used. good queue with resume.

Hey ssh ftp tunnelers: you do know that you are only tunneling the control connection? you know that the data connection is plaintext? okay, if all you want is secured login, tunnel away. further, ftp data connection is not predetermined, either server initiated in active or client initiated in passive, but always random source or dest port - if in passive mode the client would need to set up the tunnel when sending PASV. hence the advent of sftp.

winscp: great program. it is scp, so there is no resume.

ixplore: kinda rough. the gpl seems to be scp, no resume. both pro and gpl need work.

ssh.com: great. resume?!?
total commander with putty plugin: resume?!?
filezilla: resume? no, crash.

ws_ftp pro (7.6): well, yes. please don't make me buy ws_ftp pro.

i would love to see smartftp able to integrate with the putty key agent (pagent). my wish: smartftp sftp with resume. i recommend leveraging the putty package because it is actively maintained for security bugfixes.

i'm also need to have ssh support in ftp client

it's a really good feature

Hi,

this topic reached 2800 hits. 3000 is near.
It has begun months ago and is still living.
I guess it shows how much people are expecting smartftp to implement sftp.
I also do

Please tell us if you intend to really develop it in the next months.
If you don't I may go for another software for all ftp stuff
If you annouce that you are working on it and expect it to be running in a quarter this year, it may be interpreted positively and we may wait and continue using other tools in complement to smartftp, when we have to.

So any announce ?

Simple fact. I'd be happy to purchase SmartFTP or to donate the value of the licence if SFTP/SCP support was available. I use this a lot & I'd like to be able to recommend SmartFTP to friends who need support for SSH technology.

i'm also need to have ssh support in ftp client

it's a really good feature

Me too ;-)

NixDa

badsyntax wrote:Simple fact. I'd be happy to purchase SmartFTP or to donate the value of the licence if SFTP/SCP support was available. I use this a lot & I'd like to be able to recommend SmartFTP to friends who need support for SSH technology.

ditto

I have been using SSH & SmartFTP for sometime. Just for clarification, FTP OVER SSH must be different than SFTP.

For FTP over SSH I do the following:
- In Tools:Settings:Proxy I select SOCKS4. I set the proxy port
to <port> (e.g. 1080)

- Start ssh with a proxy port (e.g. of 1080)
ssh -l <loginName> -C -o CompressionLevel=6 -D <port> <destIP>

- Now I can connect to the remote host using SmartFTP

----------------------------------------------------
However this doesn't seem to work over a VPN connection.
Thought I'd try a gui-based sftp client. Unfortunately SmartFTP
does directly support SFTP.

i know many peoples that want to use smartftp but they want do it SECURELY

i think that sftp - most waiting feature for many peoples

I agree 100% with all previous posters;

I don't know if one vote more may add anything about this cause or helps speeding up the development of this functionality, but in the meantime a couple of hints about SSH on windows:

SSH Server:

there is an excellent product called winSSHd (http://www.bitvise.com/winsshd.html) that sells for private individuals for only USD 30.00; it supports all features and works like a breeze; I have purchased it for my own home server and I am very satisfied of it; as compared to competitor products that sell in the USD 500-1000 range, that's a real bargain; you can use it in conjunction with IIS's FTP server to run SFTP;

SFTP client:

command-line: PuTTY

(http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/lat ... /psftp.exe) offers an excellent FREE command line SFTP utility on windows, that is great for scheduled jobs, since it can execute commands in batch mode; you just need the windows of SQL server scheduler to create the job;

GUI: SecureFX

Van Dyke software makes an excellent, fully-featured SFTP + standard FTP GUI client, but it sells for USD 60 (http://www.vandyke.com/products/securefx/index.html)

Enjoy!

yep, sign me up on the "ssh request"- list aswell.

I just thought it was time to join the bandwagon and bump this thread to the top of the list again for the rest of June :wink:

But yes, SmartFTP without sftp is like coffee without the caffeine -- all the GUI warmth but without the stuff that lets me get my work done :grin:

i'd pay for SFTP (ssh2 at least) support. you'd have my $30, even though i use it for personal purposes. i thought smartftp had this support, but apparently it doesn't, just FTP+SSL/TLS.

if it gets SFTP support, i'll kiss the developer who implements it and buy a commercial license!

I just found SmartFTP today and I love it except for it's lack of SSH support  When SSH is supported I will be extreamly happy to get rid of CuteFTP Pro and switch over (making a few donations of course).

So count this as another vote for SSH.

Thanks!

what he said! over and over.

i just wanted to reiterate this twice, with SFTP, smartftp will take care of all my needs

Couldn't agree more! Great program which would be even better with SSH support.

You could maybe even have two versions, one with this extra support that cost a little more. Sure, I'd rather pay nothing but it sounds like other people here would willingly pay a bit of money to have SmartFTP suit all their needs and I'd agree with them.

Top program.

yes, yes, please. open SSH for everyone !

hi,
looks like the feature request is already two years old... are there any plans to implement it in the near future - or how about a roadmap?
best regards,

Grendel S.

Hi,

that's an other SFTP:

FileZilla

Is a SFTP client with a nice GUI.

1. already mentioned above.
2. winscp :)

darix

You would have THE best ftp client on earth if you did this.

I'm not sure why it's not available already since sftp commands are typically the same as ftp.

And judging by this thread, it should be top priority.

SFTP is planned for version 2.x which is scheduled for 2004.

Regards,

SFTP is planned for version 2.x which is scheduled for 2004.

Regards,

WOOHOO!!!!! I've been waiting for nearly 2 years.. it'll be great to finally get rid of this stupid pain-in-my-ass SecureFX

Thank You SmartFTP Crew!!
- ViGuru

WOOHOO!!!!! I've been waiting for nearly 2 years.. it'll be great to finally get rid of this stupid pain-in-my-ass SecureFX
why don't you use winscp or the free ssh client from shh.com (get it via ftp) instead?

Errr ... would someone mind telling me what exactly is SSH? 8O

... my fingers are getting sore from typing commands into putty, and my typing isn't getting any better with all the practice.
2004? I'm excited. This is good news!

Bummping this thread.. figure its been 3 months since my last post and I just got an email about SmartFTP being upgraded but it didn't mention anything about OpenSSH support.. crap.. lol..

re: whats SSH? it should really be S-SH because it stands for Secure Shell. check out openssh.org for more detailed info. BUT as I know it (and my knowledge might be a bit off) SFTP (SecureFTP), "FTP Over SSH2", SSH Shell and SSH2 Shell connections require both the client & server to support SSH or SSH2, most oftain used SSH/SSH2 package is OpenSSH which is an open source Secure Shell server/client that you can obtain from openssh.org - It enables you to tunnel thru secure sockets via port 22 by default (or whatever you configure your server to) and connect to another server. As far as I can tell its the #1 method of connecting to a server. every single programmer, sysadmin or even webmaster for that matter that I know uses SSH to either shell in or sftp into a server.

Take care,
- ViGuru

Ok, you said 2004, its now half way through 2004, and no SSH/SFTP suport, could we get a update on the progress of this??

Cheers
Josh

SmartFTP 2.0 is under development.. have patience!!

I'm so excited I just can't hide it! SmartFTP 2.0!

Apparently after 3 years of requests, it's finally gonna happen!

You will indeed become the best if SSH support is enabled. I rely heavily on SmartFTP (using putty) to manage 3 websites. That means 3 putty connections then I can use SmartFTP. I eagerly await the day SmartFTP 2.0 is released.

Will you send out a mass email telling members that 2.0 is out?

SFTP (and HTTP, HTTPS) transport would be welcome. I too eagerly await improvements in this field.

Then my suggestion is to use a multi-protocol download manager. As the name suggests, SmartFTP is an FTP client, not a HTTP, HTTPS or SFTP (which is not equal to FTPS and has nothing to do with the original FTP) client, and that's the way it should stay.

As a matter of fact, I do use a multi-protocol download manager, it's called CuteFTP Pro. I just hate some of it's bugs therefore for FTP only transfers I switched to SmartFTP.
I think an FTP program should be able to perform FTP and FTP-like transfers. E.g. P2P protocols are not FTP-like in my opinion, but SFTP, SCP ans getting files over HTTP(S) is, I hope you see why.

From the secury point of view, a firewall that only allows port 22 in is very secure. Thus there is need for SFTP clients.
Think about it: You thought SFTP was "FTP over SSH". If it was, you'd still need two open ports (for FTP data and control connection) in your firewall, and tunnel both to encrypt them.
SSH (incl. SFTP and SCP) only uses the single port 22. That's why, from a technical point of view, SFTP can't just be "FTP over SSH".

I agree that the original FTP is insecure, but SmartFTP already supports FTPS (FTP over SSL, both implicit and explicit) to cope with that issue. SmartFTP is not ignoring this.

From a technical perspective eyebex, you are correct. SFTP may be fundamentally different from FTP. But from a user's perspective, SFTP just means "Secure FTP". The underlying technology is different, but it provides the same functionality to the user.

Where I really disagree with you is the question of whether SmartFTP developers should focus only on FTP, or whether they should focus on serving the needs of people (customers) who do file transfers. You imply the former:

Then my suggestion is to use a multi-protocol download manager. As the name suggests, SmartFTP is an FTP client, not a HTTP, HTTPS or SFTP (which is not equal to FTPS and has nothing to do with the original FTP) client, and that's the way it should stay.

In my experience, many hosting companies now provide SFTP access, but not FTPS. As a consultant, I generally have to take what the client's hosting company provides. So if I want security, I cannot use SmartFTP, and based on the longevity of this thread (on which I've lurked for a couple years now), I imagine I'm not alone.

People like SmartFTP for various reasons, and want to continue using it. We don't want to use another application, we want SmartFTP to support our current needs. WinSCP is a nice client too, but I'd like to just use one application or the other. Currently, I have to have both, or download yet another application (e.g. CuteFTP).

My point is that SmartFTP ought to focus on being the best app for transferring files, not on the being the best client supporting the FTP protocol. SFTP seems to have fairly broad acceptance, and by not supporting it, SmartFTP is limiting its scope, and frankly, its future usefulness, at least for me :?

I've had SmartFTP installed on my computer for over a year now, and I use it maybe once a month. I really like the UI and lots of thinga about it, but all of the servers I need to access on a semi-daily basis use SSH (and only SSH). None of them support SSL and I don't have the ability to force them to swich.

When I first downloaded SmartFTP I was real excited because this thread was around to show the SmartFTP developers that there is a serious need for SSH support.

The developers of SmartFTP seem not to be big fans of www.joelonsoftware.com, because if they would have removed this barrier that prevents me and many others from switching 100% to SmartFTP.

I would gladly pay the price for SmartFTP if it did what I need it to do, but it doesn't, and I am tired of waiting for people to stop arguing over whether SFTP is FTP or not. I don't really care whether it is or not. I just know that it is a protocol that allows me to send files to the servers I use very often.

Just want to add my vote for STFP as most of the sites I need to access use this rather than FTP over SSL. If SFTP is added I can finally use just one FTP client, as I prefer SmartFTP to others FTP tools I use.

Simon

Think about it: You thought SFTP was "FTP over SSH". If it was, you'd still need two open ports (for FTP data and control connection) in your firewall, and tunnel both to encrypt them.
SSH (incl. SFTP and SCP) only uses the single port 22. That's why, from a technical point of view, SFTP can't just be "FTP over SSH".

You seem to be rigth. I don't know where I got this idea. I did remember trying this out quite awail ago, but now forwarding 21 doesnt work. I used a firewall to block everyting else. I stil very am very much for SFTP. It work be great to have a great windows FTP client to have this. And agree with stefanrusek.

I would also like to formally register the need for sftp support. No, FTP through SSL is not supported on my host. I have even gone to the trouble of making an account on the smartftp.com forums, when I should just be able to guest post. Currently I am forced to FTP to a linux box then scp from there, which is not cool for any more than one or two files. In conclusion, SmartFTP is a hell of an FTP client (awesome job guys), but it needs SFTP in this day and age.

Amen, any updates on that 2004 release for ver 2?

I have also given up and moved on, in my case, either to WinSCP which is so-so compared to SmartFTP (but supports SFTP), or (when I'm using a Mac) Transmit, which has a great UI and supports SFTP *and* synchronization. I can't imagine why SmartFTP hasn't addressed this limitation. FTP and SFTP may not share much other than purpose and name, but my need for "real FTP" has dwindled to pretty much nothing...most hosting companies I deal with support SFTP now. Well, I'm confident that the good developers behind this great app will eventually add support for SFTP, but it's taken longer than I care to wait for. Bummer.

Like many people in this thread, I registered here solely to voice my support for SFTP.

I love SmartFTP, having used it (and recommended it extensively) for at least 3 years. As a result, I hate having to use FileZilla or other inferior alternatives just to manage one account. For better or worse, SFTP seems to have much wider adoption than FTP-over-SSL. As a programmer I understand the pain of adding features late in the development cycle, but this one has been an obvious need since 2002. Let us know what you need (donations, code, beta testing) and I'm sure the community will respond.

Best,
-Richard

YES. I also agree.

I have just posted a new topic "SFTP and SCP Connections". Would be great if SmartFTP did this for us. Enough people are sure in need of this now.

As a web developer I am dealing with many sites that only have SFTP not FTP, and I can't use SmartFTP. I have to use different programs all together and it's fustrating to have to keep switching between the two programs, especially in my view when Smart FTP is surely the best... I also like WS_FTP but this isn't free!

I'm afraid SmartFTP has arrived at a point where it's usefulness has rapidly diminished to just about nothing. Security is more paramount than ever these days, and there IS NO security in using FTP as the file transfer protocol of choice.
Version 2.0, which was to implement SFTP, was promised to be introduced ages ago - I don't see it's even close to being released today. We're tired of waiting, developers - WinSCP here we come, en masse.

2. SFTP vs FTPS - which is better?

As already noted, SFTP is built on SSH2, while FTPS is standard FTP over an SSL connection. FTPS has a number of advantages over SFTP.

Security. Standard SSH provides a secure remote shell for the user, and includes a command called SCP (secure copy) which is used to implement FTP-like features in SFTP. The problem arises when you want to allow client SFTP access on a server but not SSH access. This is possible but very tricky (see SSH: The Definitive Guide). So if you are not very careful when you set up your servers, users on machines with the SFTP client installed will be able to use an SSH client to log into the server and execute commands. This is not a problem with FTPS.

Flexibility. FTPS is a straight-forward extension to an existing FTP infrastructure. It is supported by most commercial servers and many open source servers (e.g. wu-ftpd and proftpd), so enabling FTPS on a server is usually just a matter of adding a few configuration options. There is no need to run additional servers since FTPS servers invariably also support FTP. There is also no need to open additional ports in firewalls since FTPS uses the same ports as FTP.

Certificates. SFTP uses keys rather than certificates. This means that it can't take advantage of the "chains of trust" paradigm facilitated through Certificate Authorities. This paradigm makes it possible for two entities to establish a trust relationship without directly exchanging security information, which is important for some applications. FTPS uses certificates and therefore can take advantage of this paradigm. SFTP clients must install keys on the server.

Okay, seriously. This client NEEDS (not a "oh, it'd be nice" thing, but NEEDS) sftp support. It is worthless without it.

Sorry, but any administrator who has had to configure FTP through a firewall for his/her users knows how badly it sucks. SFTP to the rescue.

Add this feature now. It's been how many years? No more skirting the issue and saying, "Well, we have SSL support". That just doesn't cut it.

This should be the only thing that the coding team concentrates on until it is implemented. I think from this thread alone you can see how blindingly obvious it is that the software needs it.

So do it. Add it now.

I agree. secure ftp SFTP is very important on my network and I LOVE this software, but I can't use it at work.

Version 2 rocks, by the way.

I just downloaded SmartFTP and I can't find the SFTP feature that I was really hoping would be included in this release. There are very few transfers that I am either permitted to or feel comfortable doing over FTP these days. I love the GUI of SmartFTP and I really hope you can make this upgrade, no matter how difficult it may be. My favorite text editor, EditPlus, recently added SFTP to their built-in file transfer. Because of the increasing security threats, it's simply the way things should be done these days. Please don't make me abandon my favorite file transfer client. If necessary, I will pay 30-50 for a pro version in a heartbeat and I'm sure many others will as well.

It doesn't matter if betamax was better, VHS won and nobody wanted a betamax player after that.

Technical merits are irrelevant. If administrators all over the world are deploying SFTP, which simply can't be denied to be the case, it needs to be supported. I really don't need 1000 GUI styles or IPv6 support. I need to be able to connect to the servers at my business. SmartFTP can offer to make me coffee if it wants to, but if it doesn't serve its primary function it becomes useless... and for what was once such a great application, that's a sad day indeed. It's like putting rims on a car with no steering wheel, form without function is worthless.

And to argue that SFTP is not FTP is petty semantics. Yes, it's a different protocol. It's also in many other FTP clients, and servers, because they have accepted the trend and given their customers what they want.

If I sound bitter it

I don't know about other administrators, but let's face facts:

Of the total deployed file-sharing mechanisms used in business... SFTP is at the bottom of the run. Underneath FTP, FTPS and even bloody WebDAV and SMB systems. There are more *servers* that support FTP, FTPS and SMB then there are SFTP servers. Tehnical merits aside, let's go with your on points. Administrators deploy what they feel is the most secure with the least amount of configuration. Period. Existing FTP setup can be secured with a $50/yr certificate? Done.

Compare # of OS distributions from leading hosting providers that include SFTP pre-configured, against those that include *some* form of FTP, usualling using proftpd, that has detailed and easy instructions for adding SSL support in whatever configuration is needed.

Just because some client doesn't support a specific protocol is hardly a reason to say that it is 'dying'. That's life. I've stopped using dozens of clients because they became bloated or otherwise stopped fulfilling a role. SmartFTP does what it was designed to do *extremely* well. FTP connections. It supports some 95% of the extensions for FTP, including Mode Z, FTPS, and others.

If I wanted a client that could do the kitchen sink, I would get one. I don't expect my FTP client to support a fundamentally dissimilar protocol, and neither should you. If it gets added, that's great. If not, kindly do not imply that they are destorying their product because you want something from them.

Thank you and good night.
-The Blissful Darkness
IT Administrator
Linux/Windoze
ProFTPD/G6FTP
SmartFTP Lover

Well, I'm not trying to spark a there are more less SFTP servers or what's better debate again-
But I'd like to add my request for SFTP because all 16 public universities in North Carolina (UNC system) are going to SFTP and no longer supporting anything else.
I've had to abandon SmartFTP for WinSCP and I HATE it, but there's little I can do at this point. I know of a large number of SmartFTP users at my university (which has already switched), that are also in the same predicament. I think all of us will come back if SmartFTP can add SFTP, but otherwise- I hate to go, but I have to.

Hello ..

We are currently working on it. But we have very limited resources.

Regards,
-Mat

Thanks mat,

do you have an idea when open ssh in smartftp will be available?

best regards,
--
Franck

I will definitely second SSH and SFTP. I have purchased this program due to the nice features that is already included. Add SSH and this should be the most feature packed FTP Client anywhere.

Searching through these forums and coming to the post from the developer saying that SFTP will be added in 2004...it seems clear that it's never going to happen. The last update to this thread from the developers was almost a year ago.

The developers of SmartFTP made an amazing FTP client - I've been a paid user for years - but it seems adding SFTP is beyond their skill level because nothing takes three years to add. SmartFTP is a great program - the developers should have hired an outside company to develop the SFTP module, but instead they've made empty promises to SmartFTP users for year. I'm going to search for another tool that can do what I need, and I suggest everyone else stop waiting in vain: it's not going to happen.

Hello jason ..

Actually it will happen in the very near future. We have just added SFTP to the FTP Library:
https://www.smartftp.com/ftplib
The FTP library is the FTP/SFTP engine SmartFTP uses.

The problem is not SFTP itself but the whole architecture/framework. As you may noticed we basically rewrote the whole application in the last 3 years (new Transfer Queue, new Favorites, etc). Now the new framework can easily be extended with additional protocols (WebDAV, HTTP, S3 etc).

SFTP has been integrated into our debug version for quite some time already. However due to major changes (Complete new Remote Browser, merging of Direct/Queue transfers) the version is not ready for public yet. As I wrote in another thread it will be available within the next 1-2 months.

Regards,
Mat

What's the latest on this? I'm a very frustrated customer.

The beta will be released on the 31st January.

Regards,
Mat

I will definitely download the beta...I'm glad I wasn't waiting as long as these guys...first requested SIX years ago. Wow.

Hi,

today is 31th January. Is the beta already uploaded? Do you leave a comment in this thread if so?

Cheers,
Nicki4lu