Bring back the disconnect button.

Previous versions of Smart FTP have had a button to disconnect from the FTP server before closing out the remote browser.

Without it, the test content I just uploaded to my website wasn't navigable online for several minutes, presumably waiting for the connection to time out and be closed by the server.

This would greatly hamper my ability to install and configure php applications to my website, as most need to be uploaded and then browsed to for installation.  And this is the main purpose for which I require an FTP client, as my favorite site-building software has its own FTP upload capabilities for the pages it generates.

Had I downloaded this software for the free trial period rather than purchasing a license based on previous experience with the title, this would have been a deal breaker and is now a source of buyer's remorse.

totally agree. i upgraded to Ultimate from a version several years old and just wasted about 20 minutes looking for manual disconnect button/option.

i'm stunned to see this gone. why was this eliminated? this is a serious app for power users, is it not? and you can't manually disconnect a session? this is so not power user.

SmartFTP uses multiple connections (from a connection pool) which are shared between different browser components and browser windows. It means there is not a "single" dedicated connection assigned to each browser.
When the connection is not used it will be released to the connection pool. The connections in the pool will automatically be closed after some time (client or server timeout, whatever comes first).