Integrated file editor

My suggestion may seem strange, but it will make SmartFTP almost perfect.

I've using CuteFTP Pro for quite a while and still using it because of one thing: integrated editor. I think this is a very-very handy feature.
This editor just opens in new tab and let's u edit files in a very easy and comfortable way. The only thing it lacks - different encodings.

Can you add such editor to your FTP-client? Don't think it's a hard work, but some people like it this way.

We believe that most users would like to use their preferred editor. There are many editors (including free ones) that offer much more flexibility and features than an integrated editor. Therefore we decided it is best for the users to use an external editor since there is no disavantage.

Regards,
Mat

I didn't mean forcing users to use integrated editor. CuteFTP has integrated editor, but you can set your own easily if you prefer.
The same you could do with SmartFTP: add a simple integrated editor with set of encodings and option to choose your own. That would make your program perfect.

We will be able to add a simple editor relatively easy. I'm still trying to see the benefit though ;-)

I am the one who prefer to use integrated editor and I think there are others. In most cases you don't need complex editor - just a simple one with ability to change encoding.
I have a site on Joomla and IPB forum - both have different encodings, so this is why it would be great to have the ability to switch between them. Mostly, I need to make simple edits in php files or multiple edits. This task can be done relatively faster with integrated editor, than with stand alone. I tried both. When you have integrated one, you just switch between tabs of ONE program - this is very comfy.

>encodings.
Do you mean unix/windows line endings?

Regards,
Mat

Here's a vote *against* an integrated editor. IMHO it's the more generic and better approach to not bloat SmartFTP to much and let each user use his / her favorite external editor. Otherwise, the next user will probably request a built-in paint application because he / she needs to edit pictures etc.

>encodings.
Do you mean unix/windows line endings?
No, I mean encodings like UTF-8, 1251 and so on.

Here's a vote *against* an integrated editor. IMHO it's the more generic and better approach to not bloat SmartFTP to much and let each user use his / her favorite external editor. Otherwise, the next user will probably request a built-in paint application because he / she needs to edit pictures etc.
Small editor will NOT bloat SmartFTP in any way. And as I said, it's not a replacement to external editor, it's AN OPTION, which actually can be found in most FTP-clients and similar programs.
You can download a trial version of CuteFTP and check it yourself - very handy, because you don't need to switch between windows and can easily open like 20-30 files to edit, search or replace.

Thanks for the update. The new inline editor is superb :-)

I seriously want to thank you thousand times for great user support. Integrated file editor should be awesome according to screenshots and list of features.
And since the editor supports UTF-8 your FTP client finally becomes PERFECT! Too bad I have Home Edition - no editor for me :-)

Thank you again. We really appreciate your work.