Amazon S3 Support yet?

I know this has been requested in the past, but I am wondering if this will ever be incorporated. I know that Panic Transmit for the Mac supports Amazon S3. Is there anyway for SmartFTP to do this? Thanks so much.

--micah

It's planned but we have seen no demand for it. Also the problem is that every provider using S3 introduced a different (most undocumented) file system protocol.

Regards,
Mat

It's planned but we have seen no demand for it. Also the problem is that every provider using S3 introduced a different (most undocumented) file system protocol.
Regards,
Mat
I personally think there is huge demand for it. I don't think there should have to be a forum poll for this one?
Would it be a possible consideration soon? I think that would only pull more customers to SmartFTP!?

I personally think there is huge demand for it. I don't think there should have to be a forum poll for this one?
Would it be a possible consideration soon? I think that would only pull more customers to SmartFTP!?
Hmm.. I don't think my posts pleading for S3 support are making it through... Getting forum errors.. Desperate for SmartFTP to support S3, I'll pay double for an S3 version!!

-Chris
PS. The Mac guys have like a dozen FTP clients with S3 support, on Windows we don't have a single good choice.. Please fix this SmartFTP devs!

A basic S3 client would "only" be able to handle the raw buckets. Would that be sufficient? Or do you also want support for proprietary file system based on S3 (e.g. Jungle Disk, etc)?

A basic S3 client would "only" be able to handle the raw buckets. Would that be sufficient? Or do you also want support for proprietary file system based on S3 (e.g. Jungle Disk, etc)?

I'm looking for bucket support. Anything additional would be a nice-to-have in the future, but at this point, I'm just looking for the basic S3 client you describe above. Thx.

What would you use the client for?

Backup of S3 storage?

Regards,
Mat

What would you use the client for?

Regards,
Mat

Just to jump in here..

The main use we have for S3 is hosting our large media files, so we have H.264 bucket, WMV bucket, MP3 bucket, etc. So uploading media files to those, setting the ACLs, and what is always a great to have feature is a right click copy URL and get the HTTP URL of the file. Then I can paste that directly into the show post.

Backup is really not that important for my needs, mostly just for basic file upload/download.

I seriously would have huge smile if I saw SmartFTP ship with S3, even if it was not beyond the basic stuff.
-Chris

Just to jump in here..

The main use we have for S3 is hosting our large media files, so we have H.264 bucket, WMV bucket, MP3 bucket, etc. So uploading media files to those, setting the ACLs, and what is always a great to have feature is a right click copy URL and get the HTTP URL of the file. Then I can paste that directly into the show post.

Backup is really not that important for my needs, mostly just for basic file upload/download.

I seriously would have huge smile if I saw SmartFTP ship with S3, even if it was not beyond the basic stuff.
-Chris

I would also feel the same. SmartFTP with S3 will be a great use to me and to my website.

Although I use and like SmartFTP I've been recomending xyz FTP to clients who are considering using Amazon S3. Any chance we can have a date for basic S3 capability in SmartFTP?

We have no estimated date because this feature highly depends on the demand and so far we have not seen much of it.

How much demand do you see? How many clients per month do you have that end up buying a S3 capable client?

I would have thought "wanting to see demand first" was an outdated mode of operating. It's always hard to see where lost sales are. People will simply select other products that do support emmerging technologies. S3 is growing rapidly, like it or not.

You guys are the best out there when it comes to file transfer! I think that S3 is just going to get bigger. To stay on top I think that you need this.

S3 is what I would view as being a market that has huge potential for windows clients, that Smart FTP hasn't tapped yet. Basic access to the buckets, upload (especially with multiple workers), download, etc. Other features can weed themselves out. Right now there isn't really any classy S3 options out there, so the opportunity is there and largly un-tapped in the windows world. The only decent one I have found is a Fire Fox plugin. You will see this grow exponentially now as well with Amazon Cloud Front, and the new Flash Media Server capabilities that they are adding.

I vote for Amazon S3 support also.
We are now hosting our big files on Amazon's S3 reliable CDN and it would be nice to have a single app to manage my FTP content and Amazon S3 content.
Other FTP products have already implemented the feature (I thinks it's name starts with "C...")

Thank you in advance,
DM

Yes this feature should be great for me too !
I use Amazon S3 for storage.

Add this feature!!! The Firefox plugin is slow and clunky.

Add this feature!!! The Firefox plugin is slow and clunky.
Yes ! It's awfull !

I just wanted to follow up here and see if this is on the horizon. I still have not found a reliable tool for uploading to s3. I don't understand why Panic Transmit has s3 native, but SmartFTp doesn't. Are we anywhere near getting this feature? Thanks so much for your help!

I'm a former Windows and SmartFTP user who switched to a Mac in 2006. I've been using Transmit, which has S3 support that I use on an almost daily basis. I must now return to Windows due to the software I need to use for e-learning and am looking for a Windows 7 FTP client that will also do S3. I hope SmartFTP makes the switch.

I agree with previous posters that bucket support is an essential first feature. A close second would be sync.

I'm also looking for this feature to keep my media in sync with their s3 bucket. I plan on connecting the bucket to their cloudfront service.

Please let us know if there is any plan for this.

Thanks!

Yes there are plans.