Monitor a folder

When adding a folder to the Monitor, make it intelligent so that i recognizes the file that actually changed and instead of uploading the whole monitored folder, make it upload only the file that was changed. This would also require the recognition of added files / deleted files [in the folder].

This would greatly simplify the Monitoring work for me. Since TrQ' saving to an .xml is either buggy or i tend to overwrite my previous project's TrQ very often(even when using Save and Save as carefully). I am also forced to open each folder separately and then select all files and manually add them to the TrQ

It would greatly ehance my coding speed.

If you believe there is a bug with our product please make a bug report.

there's no use reporting it when i dont have the way to reproduce it.

however, the intelligent monitoring of a folder is still a requested feature by me.

The intelligent monitoring feature is worked on.

Hello ..

Please check the latest version:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

The intelligent folder option is now on by default (and cannot be disabled). Please give a try and leave some feedback :-)

Limitations: One-Way Synchronization with Delete is currently not implemented. Is that something you need?

Thanks
Mat

Thanks i will check it out and let you know.

I'm really impressed.

i downloaded the latest Beta: 3.0.1026.27

i put a folder into Monitoring state but when i changed one file in the folder, they all started to upload. this is what it should not do when Intelligent Folder Monitoring is working.

Could you please explain, where it can be configured or read about further - how it works exactly.

The intelligent monitor works only after the item was processed at least once.

I tried it with a folder. Set it Monitoring, changed a file in the folder, the whole bunch uploaded(creating the folder in the remote location too, because it did not exist yet). changed the file again, then the worker tried to create the folder again - which gave an error (twice) and then the worker stopped - it did not upload the new, changed file.

the strange thing is that once i change a file in the folder, the whole folder uploads again AND another file which is not related to the tested folder also uploads itself (I was testing with an existing TrQ with some other files in it).

I cannot reproduce the problem. Please provide step by step instructions.

set a local folder to "Monitor" which contains at least 2 files. make sure the server does not have that folder already. when you change one of the files in the folder, the folder is created on the server and all the files in the folder are uploaded. change the file again and you'll see that the worker fails because it is trying to create the folder again on the server. if it does not fail(it did for me), it still uploads the files in the folder - but it should only upload the one file that was changed (because it was already processed once, as you said above)

Found the problem.

you said the Intelligent Monitor will start working once the folder has been processed at least once. Is it possible to remove this property - i'd like it to be intelligent from the beginning (if possible).

Yep it makes sense but we have to delay this for a future version of SmartFTP.

Hello ...

The new version should fix the problem you were seeing. However SmartFTP will still create the folder everytime the monitored item is triggered. This is by design and should not have any unwanted side effects.

Regards,
Mat

Hello ...

The new version should fix the problem you were seeing. However SmartFTP will still create the folder everytime the monitored item is triggered. This is by design and should not have any unwanted side effects.

Regards,
Mat

Yep, that be not the prob mon. Simply the worker who tried to create the folder but couldnt and then stopped the upload alltogether was the problem. I'll try the next version.

Yep this bug (crashed worker) should been fixed now.

Yep this bug (crashed worker) should been fixed now.
Yes, it is fixed.

You asked whether i want delete-syncing. You mean when i delete a file locally, it ain't deleted from the server, right?
This is not necessary for me. If you ever add it, make sure you make this optional, as it might have unwanted consequences

Anyway, thank you very much for implementing this cool feat.

What i don't like atm is the need for one processing of the whole folder before the intelligent monitor really starts to work. Seems kinda unnecessary and actually causes some problems. So if possible, that's another enhancement request by me. Thanks for the existing feature though, really cool.

Btw, my friend also intuitively tried to Monitor a folder but also discovered that all the files began to upload (before you had implemented the intelligent monitor) and was distressed by that. So, if people learn to use it now that it exists, it will save us all a lot of time - i'm a web dev, i know lol

When i close the TrQ and open it and change a file within a Monitored folder, the whole folder is uploaded again.

That's a real annoyance/bug - won't let me use the intelligent monitor until this behaviour is removed - i'll have to revert back to the old way of adding files folder by folder or one by one into the queue - so that no folders are in monitoring state, only files.

are you planning to remove this nuisance?

Matt, is there a workaround for this until you can enhance the current Monitoring feature further?

The fact that the whole folder has to be processed once before it can start intelligently monitoring the contents is very bad. Each time i restart SF, i have to let it upload all the files - that will overwrite all files on the live site that is running.

The main aim is that the Intelligent Folder Monitoring be a synchronization service. So that each time something changes inside the folder, the change is reflected on the remote server. Right now it seems perfect, with the only small flaw of it requiring one full processing before the actual good part begins

Or can you give an estimate, when do you plan to implement this? I am pushing this, because i lose some 10-20% of the time developing for adding new files created to the TrQ.

Or maybe you know of a better way to achieve this - maybe with some other application?

There are no plans to add such a feature in the short term. If you are interested in custom development please contact us at sales@smartftp.com
Thanks
Mat

This is the discussion we had
you said the Intelligent Monitor will start working once the folder has been processed at least once. Is it possible to remove this property - i'd like it to be intelligent from the beginning (if possible).

Yep it makes sense but we have to delay this for a future version of SmartFTP.

And now you said this:
There are no plans to add such a feature in the short term. If you are interested in custom development please contact us at sales@smartftp.com
Thanks
Mat

Do you mean that the enhancement for the existing IM is not a "short term feature, that you are going to add". or did you misunderstand me?

By the way, the current IM is totally annulled by the fact that it has to process the whole folder at least once - i can't imagine using that in real life production, when the SF is often reopened - each time, all the files have to be uploaded once...