Hands off my system

I have a suggestion: clean up your code and get your hands off my system. What files could you POSSIBLY be modifying that would affect all these applications? Are you installing some sort of kernel mode driver or something?

The reason you see this dialog is because SmartFTP wants to update its own files (e.g. sfShellTools.dll) which are currently in use (loaded) by the application you see in the list.

If you like to know more about how the Microsoft Installer (MSI) works please go to http://msdn.microsoft.com

Regards,
Mat

Man. I just reread my post, and that sounded waaay too angry. My apologies.

Thank you for your reply, mb. I'm aware of MSI, but it's some trick for it to be locking 6 completely unrelated applications on my system. I'll check into what's going on.

sfShellTools.dll is a shell extension which is loaded by Explorer.exe and maybe by other applications. Even if the explorer doesn't use this dll it is still loaded in the memory. And then you probably have a chain of other dependency from other applications to something explorer.exe has loaded as well. The result is the 5 applications that need to be closed before the setup can update the SmartFTP files.

Regards,
Mat