Remote copy-pasting

Hi,

Why doesn't SmartFTP allow remote copy-pasting? I know this is not a standard FTP feature but what about downloading the source file into a temp folder and then uploading it back to the destination folder? Sounds totally obvious to me and other clients have been doing this for like ages, so I'm really wondering why SmartFTP doesn't.

Really annoying to download the files and then upload them back every single time, imho.

Just my two cents -- otherwise SmartFTP is absolutely perfect to me.

Hello ..

What "other" ftp clients are you referring to?

Regards,
-Mat

I don't have one in mind really, I've been using SmartFTP for years now, but I'm pretty sure the one I used before had this, and it was... huh, quite a while ago.

Doesn't matter anyway. The thing is, a client which can download and upload should be able to simulate a remote copy pretty damn easily. That would be really, really handy.

What do you think?

I've always wanted that feature too... over drag & drop too (so when holding ctrl, instead of moving the file it would download it and upload it to the drop target folder...)

I've always wanted that feature too... over drag & drop too (so when holding ctrl, instead of moving the file it would download it and upload it to the drop target folder...)
That's probably my most wanted feature (and cause of the most frustrations when forgotten), since nothing really supports FXP, so consider a vote lodged.

Agreed. Of Course. Please! You guys should be praised for implementing FXP, and it would be nice if it was more supported as it is an ideal solution (except for possible security issues I'm not familiar with).

So to get around this, I have to do what the orignal poster states. Copy from source to local. Copy back to remote target. Bleck.

Simply put, this one action (user copy) gets split out into two items in the queue, 1) download remote source to local temp, 2) upload local temp to remote target.

Are there technical issues with this? It seems so obvious, yet you guys have such a good product and are obviously capable. What is the issue?