Thumbnails on remote server

Well, I've been using SmartFTP for many years now, but this is the feature that I've been waiting for a long time, to the point I just joined the forum community to ask for it.

I've seen that some paying-clients like CoreFTP offer this possibility, so I guess that there is no reason it couldn't be done with SmartFTP.

One of the uses I do of FTP is sharing thousands of pictures with groups of friends. It would be so much convenient if they could visualize the photos on the remote folder before downloading...

Thanks for hearing,

Daniel

Do you mean like windows explorer does with images (view thumbnail)?

On the users side toolbar is an option to view images in directories as thumbnails.
This doesn't appear to be the case for the remote toolbar..

Good idea..

Well, I've been using SmartFTP for many years now, but this is the feature that I've been waiting for a long time, to the point I just joined the forum community to ask for it.

I've seen that some paying-clients like CoreFTP offer this possibility, so I guess that there is no reason it couldn't be done with SmartFTP.

One of the uses I do of FTP is sharing thousands of pictures with groups of friends. It would be so much convenient if they could visualize the photos on the remote folder before downloading...

Thanks for hearing,

Daniel

Do you mean like windows explorer does with images (view thumbnail)?

Good idea..
Yeah, that's the idea... although it seems that it's not such a popular one... Too bad.

It's not popular (among the developers) because it's technically not feasible to do. It would involve downloading all full-sized images (in the background), resampling them on the local PC to create the thumbnails, and possibly uploading the thumbnails again.

It's not popular (among the developers) because it's technically not feasible to do. It would involve downloading all full-sized images (in the background), resampling them on the local PC to create the thumbnails, and possibly uploading the thumbnails again.

Would it be possible to simply have the app auto-download the thumbs.db (if it exists in the directory with the image files) and load the thumbnail images from there? Or perhaps post a message to the user stating a thumbs file is available, and ask if the user would like to download and view the thumbnails.

Just a wild suggestion.

Would it be possible to simply have the app auto-download the thumbs.db (if it exists in the directory with the image files) and load the thumbnail images from there? Or perhaps post a message to the user stating a thumbs file is available, and ask if the user would like to download and view the thumbnails.

Just a wild suggestion.

It's definitely feasable. That's precisely what it needs to do, download silently in the background and product thumbnails. It could be a throttled feature for when real stuff is going on. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean it's not do-able.

This feature is part of the next version. Beta release within 1 week.

This feature is part of the next version. Beta release within 1 week.

Awesome. Can hardly wait. I'll keep checking back to download the beta ver. if available.

Out of curiosity, will it be using thumbs.db or an alternate method?

Yes that's a nice feature.
I tried Beta version 3.0.1009.25 but It does not work for me.
Remote Thumbnail works fine in:

You are correct the thumbnail feature is currently broken in .25 and .26. We are working on a fix.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Version 3.0.1010.0

Remote jpg files thumbnails works if the file size is less than 99kb.
For example jpg photos of 103 kb it shows a hand icon only.

Thank you

It's a setting you can adjust in the Favorite settings in the Transfer dialog.

Excellent!

You are right. I adjusted the settings to 300kb.

Now, I can see all jpg recorded photos from remote ftp cameras.

Thank you