This interface...

LAST EDIT: By the end of this thread I find peace with the new interface and have my request about the tooltips fulfilled. I am now a happy camper.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please let us turn off this horrible new interface. It really is terrible. You can't see where the border on anything is, can't float windows around, and GRADIENTS ON THE TOOLTIPS?? Not only is this tacky and awful, but on my system it's white text on a blue -> white gradient, making them illegible.

Please. Please, for the love of God, I beg you. I like this program a LOT and I want to keep upgrading, but I will stay with 1.5 forEVER if there's never a way to turn this new GUI off.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm calmer, and I've found the Paint manager option. This is okay.

But I don't really like the new split view for local folders. And the gradients on the tooltips are getting no more legible. Some of the paint modes have balloon tips instead of tooltips, but those are the ugliest paint modes.

Please give us some more options here.

Well, it's all a matter of taste, isn't it? I personally think the GUI and it's heavily improved window docking is the best thing since sliced bread. We cannot fulfill every tiny cosmetic request by introducting yet more options, sorry.

Well, let me be more specific then:

1) Can we have a single checkbox that turns the tabs back into MDI windows?
2) Can we have a single checkbox that turns off the gradients on the tooltips?

Of course, if there's a technical reason that the answer to #1 is "No." I'll understand and move on. I really think #2 is necessary, though, since obviously it doesn't work well with certain color combinations.

1) Can we have a single checkbox that turns the tabs back into MDI windows?
In the main menu, deselect "Window" -> "Tabbed Interface".

2) Can we have a single checkbox that turns off the gradients on the tooltips?
The "Native Windows XP" Paint Manager should do that.

In the main menu, deselect "Window" -> "Tabbed Interface".

I found this just moments before coming back here; beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, and thank you.

The "Native Windows XP" Paint Manager should do that.

Yes, it turns the gradients into balloons, as I noted above. But it also makes things ugly on my box, where I use a WindowBlinds skin (that, when using native and non-hacky widgets, is flawless).

But regardless of my oddness, there's any number of folks out there who've changed their Windows color settings, who would like to use the default Paint Manager.

BUT now that I've turned tabs off, the other Paint Managers aren't so bad.

---------

Okay, I'm now fully and officially converted to SmartFTP 2, and sorry for the commotion. (Even though I think, for the greater good of usability, those gradient tooltips should go away.)

Thanks,
SFT