build 990 crashes on opening local browser

I thought the new upgrade worked fine but now whenever I try to use the local browser, an error message pops up. "smartftp encountered a problem...."

Please follow the readme before posting a bug report.

Thank you.
-Mat

This is my system info. The beta does the same thing.

Do you have the older version online so can we revert to it when the new version is a show stopper?

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)

CPU Speed : 1513 MHz
Total Memory : 1048096 KB
Free Memory : 648976 KB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 1.5.990.2
Time Stamp : 2005-08-25 04:11:02

+- Application DLL --------------------
Controls.dll : 1.6.990.2
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.5.0
SmartHook.dll : 1.0.2.1

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 1.5.990.2

+- System DLL -------------------------
shell32.dll : 5.00.3900.7032
shlwapi.dll : 6.00.2800.1692 (xpsp2.050524-1552)
comctl32.dll : 5.81
riched20.dll : 5.30.23.1215
schannel.dll : 5.00.2195.6960

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 6.0.2800.1106

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Local browser feature still gives an error. It's about an instruction trying to reference a memory. Also both this beta and the official say build 990. How does one know which is which?

Do you have the older version online?

The version number is displayed in the menu: Help->About "System Information" dialog.

Do you see a crash report dialog (from SmartFTP) when the application crashes? If not please install the SmartFTP build from
https://www.smartftp.com/download
It comes with a crashrpt.dll and a dbghelp.dll. With these two files crash reports are generated which will help us to analyze the problem.

If you are interested in a remote debug session please send me a PM (personal message) with your email address or msn id, etc.

Thanks a lot for your time.
-Mat

I unistalled the version I have and installed the beta version. I guess your beta installer doesn't install the crash report maker. I noticed that the beta installer file size is smaller.

I was wondering why you do not have the crash report maker installed if you expect us to report problems with the beta versions unless you expect us to install your beta version on top of a release version, which is not what you recommend in your readme file.

This upgrade is just one frustrating experience. I mean I don't have time troubleshooting this issue for several days and stay without a working ftp program. I asked for the previous version to be posted online. ok.. so I went ahead and downloaded a previous version from a files site.

I installed the older version over 990 and the launched program was still 990.
I uninstalled smartftp and reintalled the older version and it still said 990. WTF! I removed the folder and the setup folders and now it's finally the older version.

The favorites are in a binary file which is incompatible with the newer version and because it's binary I can't pull out any useful info. I am never in favor of putting settings in an unreadable format.

oh well I have to enter everything manually now.

It was a big mistake to do this upgrade which was not necessary in the first place for me.