Slow parsing of the file list??

I have about 10000 sub-directories in one directory on my server, and i noticed using smart ftp, it took forever for it to read the file listing and list all of those directories on the client after it got the list from the server, i wasnt sure if this was a bug, or just something that smart ftp isnt made to handle.....

I am planning on becoming a paying user of SmartFTP soon, but dont want to do so unless i can use it to do my work quickly.... and 20 min to list the directories is not quick enough for me (please dont take this as im bitching, im not, just letting youy know my situation).

My server actulay timed out the connection before the file listing was done.... is there any code changes you could do to speed up how smartftp proccesses the file listing?

Thanks,
Ryan Gatewood

Hello ...

Please send the raw directory listing to
sales attt smartftp.com

We will try to analyze it.

What if the cache is disabled? (Settings->Connection->Cache)
Is it still slow?

You may want to rethink your directory structure, having more than 100 sub directories in a single directory is very inefficient per se.

Regards,
SmartFTP

how would u go about getting that list?

yep, still takes just as long if uncached...

if cached, once i get it, it doesnt take as long everytime i goto that dir.... during that session of smart ftp....

I have also noticed this folders that the 985 version didn't seem to take so long to load seem to load slower in this newest version. i don't deal with 10000 sub folders so it doesn't bother me much. but it does take a 15 or so seconds longer in some places i log into that have a couple hundred folders

To get the folder listing, right click on the folder/directory then choose "Show Raw Listing" from the context menu.

-Mat

Please test it again with the latest beta (.28)
https://www.smartftp.com/download

If it's still slow please send the raw directory listing.

Thanks
-Mat

list sent... thanks for helping me...

your right about that.

Thanks for all the help with this.... You will have a paying user very very soon.

First rate support.

Great response time.

Great help.

Very Friendly.

Thank You.

-Ryan