Windows XP without any SP - Unable to Run Problems

After I downloaded the client from the internet, I installed it with no problems. But when I tried to run it, it gave this as a problem:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installer Information

There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required to install this program could not be run. Contact your support personal or package vendor.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really didn't know where to start, I installed SmartFTP before on my computer, but I system restored it recently and now it won't let me run SmartFTP. I don't think this is a problem with SmartFTP, but one of the many Microsoft Windows problems I might have. Any suggestions?

I was using SmartFTP all this year but made the mistake of downloading the new version. I get the same installation problem as reported - a necessary file is missing in the installation package. Doesn't say what file. So I try downloading the other installer and get no errors but can't run the program - I choose "launch SmartFTP when finished" and nothing happens at all. When I click the .exe file, I get the error that the configuration isn't correct. Try for a fix and get "can't connect" to the config site at smartftp. ALL MY FTP ACCTS are in this program and I really need SmartFTP back - what I have now is StupidAbsolutelyUselessFTP.
Windows XP and unlike the previous poster, I do believe the problem is with this program.
Does anyone still have an old version they can email me?

After I downloaded the client from the internet, I installed it with no problems. But when I tried to run it, it gave this as a problem:

Installer Information

There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required to install this program could not be run. Contact your support personal or package vendor.

I really didn't know where to start, I installed SmartFTP before on my computer, but I system restored it recently and now it won't let me run SmartFTP. I don't think this is a problem with SmartFTP, but one of the many Microsoft Windows problems I might have. Any suggestions?

Hi, try downloading the nsi build.

I tried ALL downloads. None work. I've set up another FTP program on my computer now because I have to have ftp working. I had liked WS_FTP but it didn't work once I changed to an XP computer. Then I got used to SmartFTP and liked it well enough. But this version won't install - I tried both options shown on the download page, then tried the DEV version (beta) as well - also managed to poke around and find both install versions posted a few days earlier, and tried them to see if they were functional. I saw one msg about unicows.dll and am not sure where it should go, but pasted it into System and System32 folders in Windows and tried all installs again. NONE WORK. Same old error msgs every time with the full program or the beta, and no action at all with the NSI, but an error msg if I click on the .exe file it creates.

What error do you get?

Regards,
-Mat

With the "whole" install option, I get the error ScottWarner quoted at the beginning of this thread. For other error msgs, see my first post.
1)"iinstaller package missing a file"- words to that effect, as quoted by SW - but file is not identified
2) config is not correct - "reinstalling may solve the problem" or words to that effect - but repeated installs get the same error - this is for the "smaller" install - which does nothing when it should launch - but the error comes when I click the .exe file

all as I wrote previously

With the "whole" install option, I get the error ScottWarner quoted at the beginning of this thread.  For other error msgs, see my first post.  
1)"iinstaller package missing a file"- words to that effect, as quoted by SW - but file is not identified
2) config is not correct - "reinstalling may solve the problem" or words to that effect - but repeated installs get the same error - this is for the "smaller" install  - which does nothing when it should launch - but the error comes when I click the .exe file

all as I wrote previously

Yup, I am in the same boat. I tried all older versions of SmartFTP and got the same problem.

What OS are you running?

Windows XP.

Hi

I have same problems and error's messages.
I try to upgrade from version 1.0 build 966 to version 1.5

So I uninstalled v1.0 and try to install v1.5 with NSIS and MSI installer.
But I got same problem than ScottWarner.

Uninstall v1.5 and reinstall v1.0 make me feel better = everything returns as before (but with a old version :cry:)

I'm on Windows XP (french version without any service pack)

Please post exact error messages and include a screenshot as well.

Thank you.
-Mat

Installation with NSI :

At the end of installation

I choose close (fermer) and nothing happended

If I tried to launch SmartFTP

Translation : this application could not start because application's configuration is not correct. reinstalling may solve the problem.

Installation with MSI :

At he end of installation

I choose Finish and then

If I try to launch SmartFTP

Hmm ..

The problem is with the manifest which is integrated into the .exe and .dll.

I'm curious if its related to the missing SP1 or SP2.

-Mat

Mat you have some serious problems!

I've tried all the builds with no luck...

What gives??

JV

Running XP.

Instead of posting you have the "same" problem as blabab you should try to give a little bit more information. We are trying to find the reason why it doesnt work for some users. Without providing any information your posting is useless.

What OS are you running? Do you have all SP2 etc installed? etc etc.

Thank you.
-Mat

Hi,

I installed v1.5.988.17 and v1.5.988.23 under a Windows XP Pro SP1 without any issues.
I can't find v1.5.998.21 but I assume v1.5.998.17 has the same problem than v1.5.998.21, so it seem's to be a Service Pack missing issue.

I will try to install v1.5.988.23 under Windows XP Pro (without any SP) as soon as possible to validate your fixing.

Yvan

Ok Mat,

I'm running xp pro - no service pack.

Previous versions ran without a hitch.

JV

Then it really seems to be an issue with XP without a SP.

The temporary fix would be to install SP2. This would be a good idea anyway - in any regard.

I'm trying to find an XP without any SP installed and to track down the problem there. Maybe its possible to fix it.

Regards,
-Mat

The following bug causes the problems with Windows XP without any service packets installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316696

To get around the problem, install SP1 or higher.

If you wanna see what bugs have been fixed with SP1 take a look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324720/

It's hard for me to understand why users stil run XP without the service packets. The first service packet was released in 2003, about 2 years ago.

Regards,
-Mat

Thank you for your answer and time spend to find the issue.

I understand the problem.
I will just stay in v1.0 of SmartFTP (features are enough for my usage).

Maybe you can just update the system requirements and detect the Windows XP system without any SP during the installation to provide a more "user friendly" message ("You need to install XP SP1 or higher to install this product" for instance).

I think there is many XP systems without SP around the world.

Yvan

Please try it again with the latest build (1.5.988.24)
https://www.smartftp.com/download

I removed the flags attribute from the manifest.

Updated: It seems to run on my test system with Windows XP Pro without any SP.

Regards,
-Mat

It works

Thank you very much

Best Regards