crashing... please acknowledge this

hello.. i'm used smartftp for a very long time.. lately i've noticed that i can't connect to any server because the program will just freeze. it happens right when i hit the connect button. so i came to this forum to see what to do. i noticed that many people are having this problem with the new version so i know something is wrong.

this has never happened in the years and years of using smartftp. so it must be something new that is causing this.. the only two new things on this system are XP service pack 2 and smartftp version 982 (this never has happened to me in the 981 or previous build)

the solution posted here is to uninstall the program and reinstall.. that didnt work... but if i uninstall and then delete every smartftp registry key and tehn reinstall then smartftp works again! but after about 8 - 10 more uses the same problem will occur and i have to delete all registry keys and reinstall again. .

i am not posting this to complain.. because i think this is the finest FTP program ever made. i just want to make sure the developers realize there is some sort of problem that really needs to be fixed.. it's not a problem with all the users systems as you may think.. because my system is in perfect shape and runs beautifully and has never had a virus or any spyware at all..

so anyways thanks for the great product and i hope this problem gets solved sometime soon..

thanks,
billy

You are refering to the problem that has already been fixed.

Deleting the registry key and installing the new version does fix it.

Yes, deleting the registry and reinstalling makes it work for a little bit, but I am now a few days out (or a few reboots, take your pick) from doing this, and now SmartFTP is not working again.

This isn't isolated, either, this is the third of fourth time I've had to do this, and it isn't cutting it anymore.

Any other ideas?

Please read how to make a proper bug report.

Thank you.
-Mat

Geeze,

Everyone is so uptight about supporting each other. Fact of the matter is I was unable to find the solution to my problem here, EVEN AFTER reading all of the posts and documents I could find relating to the crashing issue after SP2 installation.

Well, I am posting the solution I found to my problem in hopes it helps the many other people that are still having difficulty.

I tried deleting the registry key and reinstalling SmartFTP to no effect.

My eventual solution to my crashing problem was to change the "Connection Mode" to "Active Mode (PORT)". (Found in the "Settings" section of SmartFTP).

That was it! Now I am able to connect to my FTP server with no problems. FYI, I was attempting to connect to a VSFTP server being hosted on Redhat Linux v8.0.

I will post this solution to the other threads I have found to make it easier for those in need (rather than saying "Go and find it chump")

Jz.