Crash when connecting

Is there any crash message / register dump?

Nope : - Or I don't know where to get that

There is something broken with your system.

Updating to the official XP SP2 might be a good advice too.

Bleh, then they better hurry with creating the Dutch SP2 update

I want to say - I came searching SmartFTP for a newer build (have the latest version) yesterday because I was having the same exact problems this guy was.

I'm not sure what could be 'broken', I just did a fresh format within the past week. I have XP Pro SP2, all the latest updates, etc. I keep my computer protected and fresh.

But anyway, I found a newer build - so instead of crashing every time it connects, it freezes now - and begins eating up large amounts of memory at the same time according to my task manager - while my CPU is spiked at 100 %. It will increase, and increase, and stop around 780 MB (page file usage).

I have 512 MB RAM.

I am having that exact same problem. Pretty fresh install of XP SP2. Load up the program fine, but the second I hit the connect button, the app locks up, and begins eating memory and cpu cycles.

I tried reinstalling, but didn't work. Firewalls off, everything, still no.

You also may try to delete the whole SmartFTP registry key. This can be done manually or with the SmartFTP Backup Tool.

I have adaware, sypbot search & destroy, the cleaner and norton antivirus pro, so I doubt it'd be that.

I also removed the registry key, reinstalled the application etc, the problem still exists :>.

Wigge: In your case it's very likely that its related to your beta SP2 installation. I cannot think of anything else than that. Sorry.

Just to add to what has already been said...

I am having the same problems mentioned above.

Smartftp used to work fine (even with SP2) until one day Smart FTP told me that it had been too long since I upgraded. I didn't think anything about it and upgraded to the latest version ( 1.0.982.17). After that my problems started.
Smart FTP then froze anytime I tried to connect to a site. Not just froze, but also consumed all of my memory and made all of my other network apps unstable. I could stop the memory leak by killing SmartFTP, but I had to reboot to use the Internet with any success.
I got to the point where I finally just uninstalled SmartFTP!

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 (not beta) "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
I am running this on an opteron that has the DEP extensions.

I also made a post here in the forum ... in the same Issue of what this guy is posting about...... from what this guy posted here it seems he has already installed Win. SP2 upgrade,,,thats why it is crashing on him.....

-------------------------------
(NOTE THE SP2 In this Section of what he has posted above)
shell32.dll : 6.00.2800.1556 (xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325)
shlwapi.dll : 6.00.2800.1552
comctl32.dll : 6.0 (xpsp2.040410-0905)
riched20.dll : 5.30.23.1211
schannel.dll : 5.1.2600.1347 (xpsp2.040109-1800)
--------------------------------
in my other post that i have made, i have explained my problem and its WIN. SP2 causing all the issuies
https://www.smartftp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24963#24963

Anyone can paste a tasklist plz?

Delete the registry key under
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareSmartFTP

and install the latest developer build.

Regards,
SmartFTP.com

A few weeks back I to upgraded to the latest version of SmartFTP. I was having no problem with my current version but I thought I should upgrade and I ignored the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" axiom. But after upgrading, every time the program tried to connect to a host I'd get a Windows error message and the program would shut down (with no dump available to view). I'm running Windows 98 original fully updated.

Needless to say this was extremely disappointing. I tried reinstalling and whatever else that would come to mind. Nothing at all helped.

In great dismay I ripped it out of my system and tried FileZilla and AceFTPFree. Both were decent programs but had ridiculous quirks that made me really miss SmartFTP. So after getting aggravated last night at AceFTP and not being able to select multiple files to transfer, I tried reinstalling SmartFTP.

I had previously deleted all registry keys for it. The reinstall went fine and now the program works as normal. Needless to say I won't upgrade again since it is now working just fine. This application sure is a zillion times better than any other FTP program! Thank God it is back to working right. SmartFTP is simply the best one out there.

Just my 2 cents.

John