Destination Disk Full (but not really)

There's a bug in SmartFTP where I have a drive mapped over smb to a server. The server has two drives mounted under that share:

servershare --> /server/share

MOUNT POINTS:
/ --> /dev/hda1
/server/share/folder1 --> /dev/hdb1
/server/share/folder2 --> /dev/hdc1

And I have the servershare mapped to a drive letter, say S:
The problem is, the S: drive shows disk usage equal to the first disk, but when I save to folder1 or folder2 (which have tons of space free) SmartFTP gives an error since it calculates free space from the mapped drive mount point (/server/share) which is on the disk without room.

I don't know if its possible to get free space on a per-folder basis. If not, then there needs to be a way to disable local disk free-space checks (at least for mapped drives).

We are using the GetDiskFreeSpaceEx API function and it checks the space on a per folder-basis for all NT operation systems (NT4, 2k, XP, etc).

If you are using Win98, WinME the space check is made on a per disk-basis. And in this case will not work correctly in your situation.

Regards,

mb wrote:We are using the GetDiskFreeSpaceEx API function and it checks the space on a per folder-basis for all NT operation systems (NT4, 2k, XP, etc).

If you are using Win98, WinME the space check is made on a per disk-basis. And in this case will not work correctly in your situation.

I'm using Windows XP. Perhaps the problem is because the server machine is running linux. I am not sure how samba handles free disk space reporting. In any case, there IS available disk space and SmartFTP will not let me download. If there's no other way to solve this then I would suggest adding way to disable free disk space checking on mapped drives.

Here's the output from SmartFTP's system info:

+- System -----------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 1400 MHz
Total Memory : 523764 KB
Free Memory : 261344 KB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version : 1.0.981.37
Time Stamp : 2004-03-15 11:56:43

+- Application DLL --------------------

controls.dll : 1.6.981.37
ftpapi.dll : 2.0.981.37
language.dll : 1.0.981.37
reseng.dll : 1.3.981.37
smarthook.dll : 1.0.2.1

+- System DLL -------------------------

unicows.dll : 1.0.3626.0
shell32.dll : 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804)
shlwapi.dll : 6.00.2800.1400
comctl32.dll : 6.0 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
riched20.dll : 5.30.23.1211
schannel.dll : 5.1.2600.1347 (xpsp2.040109-1800)

+- Internet Explorer ------------------

Version : 6.0.2800.1106

+- Winsock ----------------------------

Winsock : 2.2

In my opinion its better to solve the cause of the problem instead of a workaround.

What does Windows Explorer report? It should be the same as SmartFTP reports. If not there's a chance we will fix it.

mb wrote:In my opinion its better to solve the cause of the problem instead of a workaround.

What does Windows Explorer report? It should be the same as SmartFTP reports. If not there's a chance we will fix it.

Right, me too.

Windows explorer reports back the disk usage of the first disk on the server, even though there are two drives mounted to folders within the share. I'm not sure how to get the disk usage statistics on a folder from within Windows explorer, I can only see it for the share (mapped to a drive letter). Please advise if you know how to get this information. Right click properties had no dice.

I tried mapping the drive to one of the folders that is a mounted drive on the server, still reports the same.

It seems that the problem could be with windows, however I can copy files within windows explorer that are larger than the reported available disk space of the mapped drive and I cannot do this with SmartFTP. Perhaps you're using a different call than explorer?

mb wrote:That's interesting. Windows Explorer may copy the file without a pre-free space check on a drive which is mounted to a network resource.
yes, that's correct. WE does not even check for enough free space before copying on "normal" drives, it just copies until no more space is left, whether or not the whole file fits on the destination. that's one thing that has always annoyed me.

It may depend on the OS you are running.

On what OS can you confirm this behaviour?

-Mat

win2k. winxp does not seem to behave like this.

When copying to floppies, every version of windows I can remember (9x thru XP) don't check, explorer fails when the disk is full.