Missing files when uploading directories

Not all files are uploaded if I drag and drop multiple directories from the local browser to the active ftp connection. Its like Smartftp doesn't look for files recursivly in the directories and some times doesn't even copy the other directories. This is not a problem if you drag them from the local browser window to the session queue and then initiate the transfer so it appears to just be a problem with the direct transfers. I haven't noticed this with Direct Downloading the same ammount of files yet.

How to reproduce it?
Connect to a ftp server that you can upload to. Then from your local browser window highlight multiple directories (that have multiple subdirectories) and drag them to the active ftp connection with your server.
Once its done check all the files and you'll most likely find like I have that not all files or subdirectories are being copied over.

+- System -----------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 745 MHz
Total Memory : 391148 KB
Free Memory : 203692 KB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version : 1.0.981.37
Time Stamp : 2004-03-15 11:56:43

+- Application DLL --------------------

controls.dll : 1.6.981.37
ftpapi.dll : 2.0.981.37
language.dll : 1.0.981.37
reseng.dll : 1.3.981.37
smarthook.dll : 1.0.2.1

+- System DLL -------------------------

shell32.dll : 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804)
shlwapi.dll : 6.00.2800.1400
comctl32.dll : 6.0 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
riched20.dll : 5.30.23.1211
schannel.dll : 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

+- Internet Explorer ------------------

Version : 6.0.2800.1106

+- Winsock ----------------------------

Winsock : 2.2

I cannot reproduce this problem. When there's an error with uploading SmartFTP won't continue unless you have enabled the "Continue on error" in the Settings->Transfer.

-Mat

There aren't any errors. It just doesn't copy all the files over. I'll make up some screen shots an return later today.

You can use the global queue to be sure that all the files are uploaded.

Use the global queue for large uploads as aok suggested.

We could fix the bugs right away if you can provide us with a reproducable case. But its pretty hard to fix something based on assumptions

Thanks
-Mat

Easily done.

Go to the following URL and download whichever install package you prefer: (tar.gz, tar.bz2, zip)
http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php

Now, login to some FTP server somewhere - doesn't seem matter which server - and drag the unzipped folder into SmartFTP. After it "finishes" double check to see that the following files were uploaded:

Themes/default/languages/index.english.php
Themes/default/images/bbc/bold.gif
Themes/classic/images/post/moved.gif

(just examples...)

For many users, they are not being uploaded. Because I have hidden CVS directories... (I smell a feature request - option to not upload hidden files in drag/drop...) I have always done each folder by folder, and as such never experienced this problem myself.

-[Unknown]

Doesn't work for me.

I've uploaded and download the files twice and compared it with the original source and there was no difference. All files/folders are there.

I was using PASV mode, SSL clear data connection.

Im not saying there's no bug but as long as I haven't seen a reproduce case it's what I have to assume.

-Mat

I've experienced this bug with the package [Unknown] posted on my forums while upgrading. The User's Online list was unusable because SmartFTP had dropped the Themes/default/languages/Who.english.php file. You might want to check your uploaded test, mb, and see if that file's there, because it's the very last file uploaded in the package.

I have also been plagued with this problem and have tried many ways to see if I could fix it but still have it!

mb, if you want I can set up a temporary account so you can try seeing if this is a problem between SmartFTP and PureFTPd 1.0.12 which zPiranha and myself are experiencing these problems with.

you'll notice that after a few directories it freezes and says the server didn't respond soon enough then backtracks to the directory upload started in.

]
For many users, they are not being uploaded.  Because I have hidden CVS directories... (I smell a feature request - option to not upload hidden files in drag/drop...) I have always done each folder by folder, and as such never experienced this problem myself.

-[Unknown]

if you make this a option/feature request can you also make it not upload those hidden thumd.db files?

I wondered where all those extra files were coming from!

Oh, BTW, this is happening on both of my web sites.

One is hosted by Aquilo, the other is hosted by someone else with entirely different software. The bug is reproducable on both sites.

I have had this problem before with Invision Power Board and SMF and various software. I cannot stand it. I thought it was my compy but when I tryed other software, it worked fine so it is SmartFTP doing this.

mb, you can definitely see this bug if you try uploading the XOOPS 2.0.6 package available at http://www.xoops.org.

Hello,

I would like to add my voice to the fray and say that I came to the forum to report exactly the same problem - when copying a folder which has multiple sub-folders, SmartFTP seems to be randomly failing to upload/download various sub-folders. This has been happening ever since I installed it several it several months ago (now using build 1.0.981).

This has got me into trouble at college a few times when the files I swear I uploaded where not there when I had to produce some work.

I can't see a pattern to which folders/files are left out as sometimes all are copied, sometimes some, and very occassionally, none at all (unless I copy each sub-folder individually - a real pain with large jobs!)

I don't think users should have to change modes or methods to fix this - to my thinking it is something that should work whatever mode SmartFTP is in.

Thanks
Mark

I've uploaded the xoop files several times (4). All uploads were complete.

I think the problem is related to your server or connection to the server.

It's not my connect or server. This only started when I started to upload multiple sub folders.

Also in my case it only happens with SmartFTP but not other FTP programs so not the server or connection. It does not happen all the time - usually more after I've been using the program for a while. Trying it once is not necessary going to show ther problem so perhaps do it a few times (with multiple subfolders and files).

If several people are experiencing the same thing I think it's most likely to be the program.

Mark

Sorry. What can we do if you are unable to provide a reproducable case? It has been tested by several other users as well and they dont have a problem either.

Do you have the same problem when having the global cache disabled?
Settings->Cache

If you are using a favorite make sure you disable the cache in the favorite settings as well.

Please check the latest developer build:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

SmartFTP wont longer restore the directory after an error occured. This way you can better see (without scrolling up) what caused the problem.

Please check this build and try again. All upload failures have been caused by a server timeout on my side. Increasing the server timeout should at least fix this problem.

I'm not having the problem, but... I would suggest that if SmartFTP cannot upload something and another client can, even if it is caused by server issues or connection problems, this is something SmartFTP should try to get on top of - I would say this is in the class of what Mozilla calls "Bugs that make Mozilla look bad".

While I am a developer myself, and understand that it's hard to fix issues you have no reproducable test case for, I feel that you're being a bit unneccessarily cold about this issue. If it helps, I'll repost this as a feature request - either way, I really do think it is a priority issue, because I happen to know you're losing not only current users but even potential clients solely because of this issue.

Example of someone asking for a new FTP client on our forum:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community ... pic=8513.0

-[Unknown]

Hello ...

If you have read the thread carefully enough, you should have noticted that we have suggested a solution/workaround for this problem. Simply using the global queue will solve all of the upload problems (server timeout, disconnects, etc) the users are encountering here.

Furthermore there will be always users unable to upload due to problems with their configuration, system, router, remote server, etc and SmartFTP cannot solve all of their problems. And blaming the software without any evidence is not the way to go.

mb: I believe Unknown is right. Just because you can't reproduce it doesn't mean the bug doesn't exist. You're not always right as the developer.

I am actually considering a new FTP client myself, this bug bothers me so much.

I believe that the solution is not suggesting something that's slightly more difficult, it's tracking down the bug and fixing it.

This thread is closed.

All serious bug reports can be sent in the correct form to bugreport attt smartftp.com

All other kind of flames, wrong statements and accuses etc. are not welcome anymore. Thank you.

-Mat