vista download issue

Hi, I'm new to SmartFTP, but have previously been using it successfully on XP, both uploading and downloading. I have now installed the latest verseion 1002 on Vista Home Premium, but am unable to download files from my website to edit them. When I try to download either an individual file or a complete folder, all that is created in teh selected destination on my PC is a folder called SFTPCOPY which is empty.

Don't know if this is Vista issue or I am doing something wrong.

I apologise, the file created is called SFTPDROP not COPY as previously stated.

Hi, I'm new to SmartFTP, but have previously been using it successfully on XP, both uploading and downloading. I have now installed the latest verseion 1002 on Vista Home Premium, but am unable to download files from my website to edit them. When I try to download either an individual file or a complete folder, all that is created in teh selected destination on my PC is a folder called SFTPCOPY which is empty.

Don't know if this is Vista issue or I am doing something wrong.

Please try to restart your computer after the installation.

Regards,
-Mat

Hi, I've already done that, It makes no difference

I have also disabled my firewall and tried transferring in both passive and port modes.

Lox

Please try to restart your computer after the installation.

Regards,
-Mat

Hi, I've resolved the problem. For some reason when I drag and drop the download is defaulting to Default Folder setting. I have to right click the folder I want to copy and use the menus to download and select the folder to make it work.

Thanks for your help.

Lox

Hi, I've already done that, It makes no difference

I have also disabled my firewall and tried transferring in both passive and port modes.

Lox

Try the following:
Run SmartFTP.exe under the Administrator account one time. This will correctly register the SmartHook.dll. The SmartHook component is responsible for the SFTPDROP folder.

Please let use know about the results.
Thank you.
Regards,
-Mat

I can confirm that running SmartFTP.exe once as an admin fixed the issue for me. Just go to wherever you have SmartFTP installed and right-click and then choose "Run as administrator". Type in your credentials (if required) and then close SmartFTP once it opens. You should now be able to drag and drop as usual.

On another note, you can't right-click the SmartFTP shortcut in the start menu and click "Run as administrator". I'm thinking this is because the target in the .lnk isn't an actual exe file but "SmartFTP Client 2.0". I'm not sure if this is a SmartFTP installation thing, or a Vista thing.

Thank you for your contribution. The newest SmartFTP setup installs the registry entries for the SmartHook.dll during the setup. This fixes the problem described here.

Regards,
-Mat