SmartFtp exits automatically!

It happened again.

When I keep the smartFtp open, it always exits without any notification, either during my operation in SmartFtp or during othter operation. It seems that it happens randomly, sometimes I can operate logner before the automatic closing, sometimes it is shorter. It have make me quite worry since I have no idea about when it will exit suddenly.

Recently, I have found that it happen more frequent when I open a software, qsfolder, which can deny the access of a folder, such as copy, entry or delete.

But it also happens even if I do not use qsfolder.

Thank you in advance.

There is some information about the modules invoked by the two softwares.

------------------------------------------------------

QsFolder.exe process contains 58 modules

C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\comctl32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMM32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LPK.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\USP10.dll
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-wwz_a84f1ff9\comctl32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll
C:\Program Files\Sony\Jog Dial Navigator\WMHook.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTF.dll
D:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\iprepair.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SETUPAPI.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\appHelp.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CLBCATQ.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\COMRes.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cscui.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CSCDLL.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\USERENV.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MPR.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drprov.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntlanman.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NETUI0.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NETUI1.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NETAPI32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NETRAP.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SAMLIB.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\davclnt.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\shgina.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSGINA.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINSTA.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ODBC32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\odbcint.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Audiodev.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WMVCore.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WMASF.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINTRUST.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CRYPT32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSASN1.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMAGEHLP.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wiashext.dll
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.2600.2180_x-ww_522f9f82\gdiplus.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WININET.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\xpsp2res.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\sti.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CFGMGR32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctfime.ime

SmartFTP.exe process contains 84 modules

C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\OLEAUT32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9\COMCTL32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WININET.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CRYPT32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSASN1.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2HELP.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CRYPTUI.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINTRUST.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMAGEHLP.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NETAPI32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLDAP32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VERSION.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\oledlg.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINSPOOL.DRV
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMM32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LPK.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\USP10.dll
D:\Program Files\SmartFTP Client 2.0\CrashRpt.dll
D:\Program Files\SmartFTP Client 2.0\dbghelp.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll
C:\Program Files\Sony\Jog Dial Navigator\WMHook.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTF.dll
D:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\iprepair.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SETUPAPI.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\appHelp.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CLBCATQ.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\COMRes.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\USERENV.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MPR.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drprov.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntlanman.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NETUI0.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NETUI1.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NETRAP.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SAMLIB.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\davclnt.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSGINA.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINSTA.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ODBC32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\odbcint.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\xpsp2res.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\sti.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CFGMGR32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msimg32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSAPI.DLL
D:\Program Files\SmartFTP Client 2.0\SmartFTPCHS.dll
D:\Program Files\SmartFTP Client 2.0\sfFTPLib.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsaenh.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctfime.ime
C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\urlmon.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mlang.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Msimtf.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasapi32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasman.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TAPI32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rtutils.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINMM.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rlvacumd.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msv1_0.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\iphlpapi.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RICHED32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RICHED20.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\PDFShell.dll
D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\PDFShell.CHS
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntshrui.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ATL.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LINKINFO.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SXS.DLL

Please provide information on how to reproduce the problem. Without we are unable to analyze the problem.

Thank you.
Regards,
SmartFTP

This is a MAJOR bug. I have installed version v2.0.996 on two different computers and this problem happens in both of them. Both computers have different hardware configuration but both are running Windows XP Pro w/SP1, english lang. One of them has 512 MB in RAM and the other 1GB.

It happens when you left the client downloading files for more than two days straight, and as the previous user said, when you run another demanding app (like, say, a compressing/burning program) it exits without warning.

However, this isn't the only problem. This version of SmartFTP has a VERY NASTY way to delete all my bookmarks and favorites and reseting to defaults when I re-open the program. For example, in April 21 I've made a backup of the personal data located at C:\Documents and Settings\myuserhere\Application Data\SmartFTP\Client 2.0. SmartFTP crashed today april 23, but when I noticed and reopened the program, all the files in that directory were reset to April 11, 2006 (the day I first installed the program).

The transfer queue becomes useless becauses it loses the IP address of the servers where the queued files were, being replaced by an awful [unknown]:\pathtomyfiles\

When in previous versions SmartFTP crashed, at least it kept the global queue intact as just before it crashed, and (almost) never lose track of a single file or server. But when I "upgrade" to v2, then I have to reopen all my connections again and reselect all the files/directories I need. And I constantly have between 3 to 6 concurrent connections from different servers, so this becomes an innecesary and frustrating chore. All I need is a client that works automatically, that has a queue we can trust on, that doesn't delete my favourites/bookmarks, that doesn't crash without saving before, and that makes my job easier, but I think of the current release as a "downgrade" instead of an upgrade. Sure, it looks good, but looks are nothing if serious bugs are introduced.

I am very very frustrated with SmartFTP in its current state, but I've found your program very useful in the past and that's why I'm taking the time to write this. I have my config and personal files available if you want them to track down these bugs, but I think that downloading files from 3 servers at once for at least 1 day straight on a XP SP1 machine with 512 MB in RAM can duplicate the problem. In the meantime, I am uninstalling v2.0 and reinstalling old v1.

Please don't dissapoint your fans. Even getright's ftp queue works better than smartftp's...

A dissapointed fan,
n][rvana

Hello ..

Provide stepy by step instructions on how to reproduce the problem. Make sure you have the latest version:
2.0.996.13 installed before you report any bugs. Also your system information are missing.

SmartFTP does not delete nor reset the Favorites (Favorites.dat) or Transfer Queue (Queue.dat) on its own.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Hello ..

Provide stepy by step instructions on how to reproduce the problem. Make sure you have the latest version:
2.0.996.13 installed before you report any bugs. Also your system information are missing.

SmartFTP does not delete nor reset the Favorites (Favorites.dat) or Transfer Queue (Queue.dat) on its own.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

Mu current setup is:

Computer #1. AMD Sempron 2800, 512 MB DDR RAM 400 Mhz CL3 (Kingston), 3Dfx Banshee AGP videocard with 16 MB in RAM (Creative Labs), 300 GB SATA Maxtor hard drive, DVD+/-RW Sony, DVD+/-RW LG, Asus nforce2 Motherboard (model: A7N8X-E Deluxe), Asus Wi-Fi 802.11g LAN card, 1 mbit DSL connection. This PC acts as a server.

Computer #2. AMD Athlon XP 3000, 768 MB DDR RAM 400 Mhz CL3 (Kingston), ATi Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 8x with 128 MB in RAM, 160 GB SATA Seagate hard drive, DVD+/-RW LG, CD-ROM 52x Asus, Asus nforce2 Motherboard (model: A7N8X-E Deluxe), US Robotics Wireless LAN PCI card 802.11g. This computer is my workstation, connects to the internet through Computer #1.

Both computers are running english Windows XP Pro with SP1, Internet Explorer 6 and Office 2003, and since yesterday's crash I uninstalled SmartFTP v2.0.996.13 from Computer #1 but left it on Computer #2 to provide you with info.

What else do you need?

You said that SmartFTP doesn't delete any preferences or config files but it gives the impression that it does because when you run it after it silently crashes, all the dates of the favorites sites are back to april 11 or 13. History does get deleted too (I've already verified that the option to save history in the Preferences menu is checked!).

However, the transfer queue doesn't get "really" deleted, since all the files that you placed on it are still there, but the FTP addresses where those files came from have been replaced by an already mentioned [unknown] legend.

These bugs act in conjuction to force you to have to use a notepad or a text editor to keep track of your sites, making the favourites menu completely useless (the first time I installed smartftp, I spent two days adding sites to the favourites menu, just to having them erased, imagine my anger when older versions of smartftp didn't did this, let alone having lost a complete weekend).

My advice on how to reproduce this problem would be: find five ftp servers with game levels (like idgames, flight sim levels, unreal and half-life levels) and leave a computer downloading for two days straight at a low speed, let's say with a speed limit of 10 KB/s. Then, after 48 hors have passed, return to the computer and run the most hard drive demanding application you can find, like compressing a dvd movie, or zipping your downloads into one file, verification test included, or burn some files. I am sure that sooner or later, the bug will repeat.

In the meantime, I'll install the latest v1.5 version of smartftp just to do the experiment because I'm *almost* sure that my hardware is not the cause of this problem. I'll keep you informed.

OK, thanks so much for the attention, and thanks so much for developing this program. I really want to like it, but the last few weeks have been really dissapointing . Let me know if there's any other info you may need, or if I can help in any other way.

n][rvana

Just to let you know that I am using version 1.1.984 now on my two computers. In computer #2 two hours ago said version of SmartFTP stopped responding and I had to close it via the Task Manager, but when I restarted it the global queue was intact.

In computer #1 I've had SmartFTP running for two days straight and as far everything is OK, even after I added nearly 14 GB to the queue in small files.

Guess I'll continue using that version for a while. My only gripe is that there's a nag screen telling me that my version is about to expire, so the question is, will my version of SmartFTP stop working/running at all? If so, do you know the exact date when that'll happen?

Thanks!

Just to let you know that I am using version 1.1.984 now on my two computers. In computer #2 two hours ago said version of SmartFTP stopped responding and I had to close it via the Task Manager, but when I restarted it the global queue was intact.

In computer #1 I've had SmartFTP running for two days straight and as far everything is OK, even after I added nearly 14 GB to the queue in small files.

Guess I'll continue using that version for a while. My only gripe is that there's a nag screen telling me that my version is about to expire, so the question is, will my version of SmartFTP stop working/running at all? If so, do you know the exact date when that'll happen?

Thanks!
yes, I agree. smartFtp will restore to the configuration that it is set when it exits normally after it crashed and is opened again.

But it looks like to be random. Very strange.
Foutunately, I only use it as a file management software, so the problem of restoring is not critical to me.