Save Passwords Bug

I notice the 'Save Passwords' check box persistantly stays true.
I can de-select it and save my changed settings, but when i restart to SmartFTP, or even re open the settings dialog, the box is once again checked.

This is of some concern to me as we suggest SmartFTP to our students, to acces their files from off campus.
We also advise them to deselect 'Save Passwords' in an effort to keep their account secure, in order to comply with University regulations.

I am using version v2.0.993

Craig Russell
Computer Centre
University of Leicester

I was also seeing this bug, but now with 2.0.994 the checkbox can be cleared, but passwords are always saved regardless of it being on or off.

BTW, both history and passwords are always saved, both checkboxes seem to be completely ignored.

I agree the concept of the "Save History" function is a little awkward in my eyes, too. Even if "Save History" is unchecked, new entries are added to the history list within a SmartFTP session. However, these entries are not saved across different SmartFTP sessions (i.e. if you quit and restart SmartFTP). So "Save History" should really say "Save History across sessions".

Hello ..

Background
The way the history saves the information has been changed in the recent version. In version 1.x it saved all information (host, user, pass, port). Starting with version 2.x only a reference to the favorite item is saved. Also starting with 2.x a favorite item is automatically created when using the address bar to connect to the remote server.

Save Password option
If you don't want to save the password clear the password in the favorite item properties. The favorite item properties can easily be accessed with the button in the toolbar of the Remote Browser window or you can change it in the Edit Favorites window of course.
The latest beta version has the "Save Password" option removed because it's deprecated now.

Save History option
There is nothing wrong with this option. If the option is checked/enabled the history is not saved on exit. It doesn't mean that no new entries are added during the session. You may get confused that your history is not empty when you start the application. This is very likely because you have the "Save Workspace" option enabled and each Remote Browser window which gets restored adds a new entry to the history.

Regards,
-Mat

Ok, so "Save History" doesn't control whether a history of visited sites is saved, so what is it supposed to do then? It is counter-intuitive, to say the least.

As for "Save Passwords" being deprecated... it is *very* inconvenient to go to every item in the history list and remove the password there. Both when using a shared computer and since now one can't just check a box and prevent *all* history from being saved.

BTW, the problems I mentioned on the previous post only happen in my laptop, on my desktop it seems to work as expected. I've tried reinstalling SmartFTP (removing all registry entries mentioning it and the settings folder inside the home directory), to no avail.

Ok, so "Save History" doesn't control whether a history of visited sites is saved, so what is it supposed to do then? It is counter-intuitive, to say the least.
I guess there's a difference between "Save History" (across sessions) and "Add to History" (new items to th list, that may disappear when SmartFTP is restarted and "Save History" is not checked). Anyways, I have indications that the history concept is being reworked ;-)

As for "Save Passwords" being deprecated... it is *very* inconvenient to go to every item in the history list and remove the password there. Both when using a shared computer and since now one can't just check a box and prevent *all* history from being saved.

BTW, the problems I mentioned on the previous post only happen in my laptop, on my desktop it seems to work as expected. I've tried reinstalling SmartFTP (removing all registry entries mentioning it and the settings folder inside the home directory), to no avail.

I would like to agreed about the password feature. This seems to be a backword step compared to the version 1.x method. It is vital on shared machines that passwords are not saved by accident and it is too easy to do this with verison 2.x

Set the Favorites.dat file to read-only. Sharing a single user account among many users is a very bad practice and should be avoided. If you choose this way the administrator is reponsible to get this to work. For example additional security measures are required. e.g. wiping out the application data on logout etc. A common misunderstanding is that applications should offer special features for such situations.

-Mat