Able to login with Windows Explorer but not SmartFTP

Hi,

I am able to login to my domain via Windows Explorer by typing ftp://192.168.0.4 (my internal IP addy) and then entering my username and password.

When I try ftp.192.168.0.4 in SmartFTP it just says unable to resolve host name. The same happens if I try ftp.x.x.x.x where the x's represent my external IP address (WAN)

Now, if I try ftp://192.168.0.4 it says that the username and password fields will be ignored, and it attempts to login anonymously, but that also fails.

The reason I want to login via SmartFTP is so I can chmod. I run my own server on a Windows XP Pro OS which does not support chmod'ing, but I hope if/when I can login with SmartFTP that I'll be able to chmod the files I need.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, the correct way of login with L&P is:
ftp://login:password@host

Thanks, when I try that way, I get this error when trying to connect to 192.168.0.4 "530 Not logged in. Username/password incorrect, user disabled, or user logged in too many times"

My user name and password were definitely correct, and I was/am not logged in before that, so there's no way it could be logged in too many times.

Any ideas?

Try just entering the IP (e.g. 192.168.0.4) into the Address Bar, and type in your username and password in the appropriate boxes instead of encoding them into the URL.

Try connecting via active mode.

Logging in that way worked, so that's one problem down.

Now however, when I chmod the file I want, it says it was complete and appears to work, but when I run the script I am trying to install, it says to still chmod that file. (to 777) I even chmodd'ed the directory that the file is in to 777, and still the problem persists....how come?

Hi, you can't chmod on windows servers, and you don't need to do it.

Hi, you can't chmod on windows servers, and you don't need to do it.
Yes, I've read that, but obviously something is wrong since my script is still asking me to Chmod the files. There is even a link that says "click here for windows server to skip this step", but when I click that link, nothing happens.