Client Closed the Connection?

20 Seconds after connecting to my website I receive this message:

Client closed the connection.
Automatic failover of data connection mode from "Passive Mode (PASV)" to "Active Mode (PORT)".

And I am not able to access the files for my website, to upload. Everything was working last week and now nothing works? What can I do?

Try using active mode in the first place. Please search the forum on how to do that if you're unsure.

I have the exact same problem, with an additional error message. I changed the settings so it would do Active Mode first, and it still didn't work. I wondered if it was my host's server, and at work I have Hummingbird, so I tried that - it connects OK, so it's not the server. It worked fine until a week ago (same as above). I have uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted, etc.

Here's the log:

SmartFTP v1.5.990.26
Resolving host name "natureswildchild.com"
Connecting to 216.185.128.200 Port: 21
Connected to natureswildchild.com.
220 FTP server (Version 5.339PWS/AI) ready.
USER nature15
331 Password required for nature15.
PASS (hidden)
230 User nature15 logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
REST 0
350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
PORT 10,50,6,92,5,20
200 PORT command successful.
LIST -aL
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /bin/ls.
12132 bytes transferred. (169 KB/s) (70 ms)
426 Data connection: No child processes.
Automatic failover of data connection mode from "Active Mode (PORT)" to "Passive Mode (PASV)".
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (216,185,128,200,191,170)
Opening data connection to 216.185.128.200 Port: 49066
LIST -aL
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /bin/ls.
12240 bytes transferred. (149 KB/s) (80 ms)
426 Data connection: No child processes.

If you scan the posts to this forum, you will see a number of people who can no longer connect after upgrading to 1.5.xxx. In my case, SmartFTP had worked beautifully for years, yet I was unable to download from my own FTP server (on a different machine) after I upgraded to 1.5.990. I tried everything I could think of to change the options, but to no avail. I could LIST the files (only via a refresh), but when I dragged them to the Global Queue, they would just sit there (see my posting in this forum). Given that a brief scan of this forum reveals many other people with the same trouble as I have, I have to conclude that something went awry in the 1.5 code. Either an option which was previously unselected is now on by default, or there is a bug in the code.

Does anyone know of a defaulted option which has changed between 1.0.x and 1.5.x? I would really like to get the new version working, but my only solution thus far has been to go back to 1.0.982 which works flawlessly.

R.

In my case, I didn't upgrade at all. I did nothing different. Just all of a sudden it quit working.