FTP Continuous Transfer

We are transferring large 15-20gb files via your FTP program over a cable connection. Unfortunately, the transfers are ending halfway through due to what we suspect are ISP limitations. We have been told to look for a "continuous transfer" option in your program and turn it on in order to resume transfers at the exact point they last left off when the connection is re-established. Does your program have this functionality, and how does one turn it on? Thank you.

Hello ..

Use the Global Queue. The howtos can be found at:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/howto

This is the best and only way for reliable transfers of big files.

-Mat

Matt,

So can we assume that if we use Global Queue, our transfers in the 15-20gb range should be successful? If the IP drops suddenly, or if the IP address changes midstream, will the program pick up from where it left off, as soon as connection is re-established? Under the Tools menu Settings/Transfer/Files, there is an option called "Continue on Error" -do we check this in unison with the Global Queue (what is the function of this "COE" selection)?

Thank you!

Hi, there is no reason to worry about the change of the ip on client machine, the only reason to worry is if the ip of server changes, but that can be easy fixed editing the queue item.

Aokromes,

1) can we assume that if we use Global Queue, our transfers in the 15-20gb range should be successful

2) if the IP drops suddenly, or if the IP address changes midstream, will the program pick up from where it left off, as soon as connection is re-established

3) under the Tools menu Settings/Transfer/Files, there is an option called "Continue on Error" -do we check this in unison with the Global Queue

4) what is the function of the "Continue on Error" selection

Thank you!

#3 and 4 is only for direct transfers not for global queue, it means if the file fails to transfer it continues with the next.

Aokromes, Can one safely assume that usage of the Global Queue feature will ensure that transfers in the 15-20 gb range will be successful?Thank you!

Well i have transfered few TB (1024 gb) on a lan party with SmartFTP with global queue.

Aokromes,1) besides your personal results, are users of SmartFTP having the same success with large files2) apart from setting up Global Queue, are there any additional settings in the program to ensure successful transfer of large files3) should we be also using the beta-build at the bottom of your responses (what is the most current version)Thank you!

1) I can't say nothing about other users, i am the only of TBs of transfers that i know, but some friends make few GB transfers on my home with their laptops starting queue 1 day and finishing few days later without trouble.
2) You need a NTFS formated hdd for files of more than 2 GB.
3) The beta build fixes some troubles, if you don't have troubles you don't need it really, but ATM the beta build is 100% stable because no new big features yet.

Aokromes,Could you please elaborate on your statement "you need a NTFS formated hdd for files of more than 2 GB".Thank you.

Older filesystems (e.g. FAT, which is used by older versions of Windows) are restricted in the size of the files they can store. In particular, it is not posible to store files larger than 2 GB on those systems.
NTFS is a much better filesystem with a *much* higher limit in file size. This filesystem should be your first choice on modern Windows systems (Windows NT, 2000, XP etc.).

Eyebex,

This file system you refer to is nothing a current user of Windows XP Pro has to worry about -correct? We're not sure why this was even raised in the 1st place -if the files exists in its current size on the XP hard drive (i.e. 18gb), then nothing needs to be adjusted in order to upload it via SmartFTP?

Are there any other settings within the SmartFTP program besides Global Queue which should be adjusted in order to ensure a higher success rate with large files?

Thank you.