Changing file owner?

I need to know how I can go about changing the owner of a file in smartFTP. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi, you can't do that with FTP if the server don't allows that (and most don't)

Hi, you can't do that with FTP if the server don't allows that (and most don't)

So if the server I'm on does allow it would I need to get in contact with the host then or what?

Ok so how do I go about changing the owner on a file, can someone help? Also as I said yes the server allows it.

On linux it's chown [-R] newowner filenames (-r is optional)

Ok I am a newbie at this so where would I input that command?

Try ussing Right click over the desired file->Custom commands->RaidenFTPD->Admin->File->Change Owner connected to the desired site.

Try ussing Right click over the desired file->Custom commands->RaidenFTPD->Admin->File->Change Owner connected to the desired site.

Alright I get up to that point and I attempt to enter the parameter but when I do the box either blinks and the parameter goes blank again or it says command not understood so I don't think I am typing it in correctly.

I guess you're doing all right, but the FTP server does in fact *not* support CHOWN. Very few FTP server support that. It seems you'll need to connect via SSH if possible and execute CHMOD from the command line.

I guess you're doing all right, but the FTP server does in fact *not* support CHOWN. Very few FTP server support that. It seems you'll need to connect via SSH if possible and execute CHMOD from the command line.

hmm Ok well I will talk to the main Administrator on the server I could have sworn he said that it does support CHOWN....

Question:
How do I have to write the parameter down?

It shows me
SITE CHOWN %a[User] %a[Group] %a[FileName]

Just a word of warning about chown via ssh if you're a noobie. Go extra careful with it.

lol

Really, it's easy to change the owner on files you didn't want to so go careful.

I lost a full weekend once thanks to one typo in a chown command when I was logged in as root. It needed an os reload and a new hard drive to replace the original one we remounted as a backup.

If you've not ssh'd before check out Google for some free software called PuTTY - this will allow you to connect to your server via ftp, there's no pretty pictures or gui just power and commands direct to the server.

you'll also be able to find some cool tutorials on ssh by having a hunt around