Problems installing SmartFTP

I am having a rather strange problems installing SmartFTP. The installer goes all the way through the process, culminating in the "installed Successfully" window with "Start SmartFTP" checked, but does not install the software. Worse yet, it fails silently- no error messages.

It creates the "SmartFTP Setup Files" directory, but does not install anything in the registry nor any of the SmartFTP application itself.

I have had a version of SmartFTP on this machine before. Could there be a rogue file somewhere that makes the installer think the software is installed?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I get another problem that I have seen before and unfortunately did not post last time.

The installer creates the 'SmartFTP Setup Files' folder and goes through the installation process, or so it seems. In reality, nothing happens - the SmartFTF folder is not created and the program is not installed. In addition, when I click the "Finish" button with "Launch SmartFTP" selected on the "Completing SmartFTP Setup Wizard" window, I get the following error message:

Internal Error 2753. SmartFTP.exe