Opening a local Drive takes 3- 5min!?

When opening a local browser and navigating to a drive, the hard drive starts trashing and it takes several minutes before the directory tree shows up. It started after upgrading a couple of versions ago. I have the latest version now, still same problem (on W2K sp4).

Smart FTP is now also very CPU intensive when doing simple thing such as bringing it to the front, cascading windows etc (CPU pegged at 100% for 5-10 sec)

We agree with you that the Localbrowser is not the fastest implementation in SmartFTP. Though you shouldn't see delays longer than 10 seconds unless its a special case. A special case is a directory with a lot of .zip or .cab files which automatically get enumerated by the shell. This is a very CPU intensive process. You may need to move some .zip/.cab files into sub folders to avoid these delays.

I haven't heard of a problem regarding massive use of CPU resources when windows are being cascaded. This might be related to the above problem. Running low on physical memory can also cause memory - especially of minimized windows/application - to be written to the page file. Restoring or maximizing such windows may cause a delay because the memory needs to read from the page file.

It's always hard to say what's the source of the problem without a detailed analyse of the system.

-Mat

I have zips etc in subfolders - not in the root. However, it is still very very slow. It wasn't like this a couple of versions ago.