Smart FTP Problems////please help/

I just installed serv-u today so that I can share files with my folks back home(I am stationed in Germany). I have Serv-u setup on Port 27. Smart FTP uses port 21....Is it possible to give myself a username and password to check the functionality of my FTP Server???
I tried to log in today using a pass and UN i gave myself...I dont get this...can anyone help out??I really want to get this server up and running...will take suggestions for other server software too. need something dummy proof. ..or if I can fix this , thatd be great.

teddy

Here is the log:

SmartFTP v1.5.990.0
Resolving host name "bigray.dyndns.org"
Connecting to 84.173.33.30 Port: 27
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Client closed the connection.
Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/58

I just installed serv-u today so that I can share files with my folks back home(I am stationed in Germany). I have Serv-u setup on Port 27. Smart FTP uses port 21.
I tried to log in(using smart ftp to log on to servu) today using a pass and UN i gave myself...it doesnt work.....can anyone help out??I really want to get this server up and running...will take suggestions for other server software too. need something dummy proof. ..or if I can fix this , thatd be great.  

teddy

Here is the log:

SmartFTP v1.5.990.0
   Resolving host name "bigray.dyndns.org"
   Connecting to 84.173.33.30 Port: 27
   A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
   Client closed the connection.
   Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
   Active Help:https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/58

ssia

There simply is no FTP server running at bigray.dyndns.org:27, that's it. Check your Serv-U configuration and if some firewall blocks the connection, or if you have configured any routers (that are between server and Internet) properly.