HELP ME......I CAN'T CONNECT

I just received this error message when I tried to connect. How do I correct this?

Opening data connection to 66.98.140.47 Port: 34574
LIST -aL
Timeout (20s).
Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/74
Client closed the connection.
Automatic failover of data connection mode from "Passive Mode (PASV)" to "Active Mode (PORT)".

i got the same problem, it was fine this morning but now its gone all wrong. Its probably a problem with your host, that's what my problem is if your host is down then it won't work. If your on connex hosting then that's why its not connecting.

@Robert Ellis: Be sure you have set Active Mode in the favorite's settings for favorites, and in the toolbar for non-favorites. Some people seem to believe the "PASV" button in the toolbar also refers to favorites, which is does not.

I can't find anything relevant under favorites.

Under Tools > Setting > Connection > Data Connection I have mode set to "active mode", and Port IP Mode is set to "Auto". Retry delay is at 120s and connection time out is at 100s. Everything else is set at the defaults.

Under Commands > Connection there is a button "passive mode" but switching it on or off has no noticeable effect. The entire session goes like this. (Certain data starred out that should not effect the session.)

SmartFTP v1.5.990.2
Resolving host name "local.thefilmfoundry.com"
Connecting to 66.193.73.78 Port: 21
Connected to local.thefilmfoundry.com.
220-Cerberus FTP Server Personal Edition
220-UNREGISTERED
220-Welcome to The Film Foundry / GlueWorks Animation FTP
220 server
USER ****
331 User ****, password please
PASS (hidden)
230 Password Ok, User logged in
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211- Additional features supported include:
211- MDTM
211- SIZE
211- REST STREAM
211- UTF8
211- LANG EN*
211- SITE CHMOD
211- SITE PSWD
TYPE I
200 Type Binary
REST 0
350 Restarting at byte offset 0. Send STOR or RETR to initiate transfer
PWD
257 "/" is the current directory
CWD /
250 Change directory ok
PWD
257 "/" is the current directory
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (66,193,73,78,6,97)
Opening data connection to 66.193.73.78 Port: 1633
LIST -aL
Timeout (20s).
Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/74
Client closed the connection.
Automatic failover of data connection mode from "Passive Mode (PASV)" to "Active Mode (PORT)".

Sorry to be a bother about this.

-Robert

I can't find anything relevant under favorites.
Go to Favorites -> Edit Favorites and open the properties of a favorite (Alt-Enter). In the upcoming Settings dialog, go to "Connection" and find "Data Connection" -> "Mode". This usually defaults to "Use Global Settings".

So if your site is saved as a favorite, and something else than "Use Global Settings" is specified there, changing the connection mode in the global settings of course has no effect.

That was exactly it! I never would have found it on my own!

-Robert