How do I connect???

I've downloaded and installed SmartFTP - now how do I connect?
I've followed the instructions, but the following note has me confused...

"The server and account information (Host, Login, Password) to connect are provided by your hosting provider or the server administrator"

Who and where is my "hosting provider" or "server administrator" ?

Also, I downloaded a file with a .php extension - is it at all similar to a torrent file? How do I get it to work?

As you can see, I'm new here and still trying to bumble my thru... hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

thanks

maybe my question sounds a bit juvenile - I've looked through the FAQ's - but I still haven't figured out how to get started here...

No offense, but if you don't know what all of these are, are you sure you even need an FTP client? And no, a PHP file is nothing like a torrent file at all. A PHP file contains source code in the PHP language to write websites with dynamic content, see http://www.php.net/.

it was my understanding that etree.org was a community of sorts where i could download/share some music. I don't know if I need an FTP client or not, although I thought that's what SmartFTP was.

I suppose my real question at this point is how do I get started on etree? as I said before, I've looked through the instructions and the FAQ's, but I can't seem to decipher them...

call me a newbie, but I really don't have a clue - I'm willing to learn though.

Well, as said here, you have to subscribe to the announce mailing list. The details you need to log into FTP servers (address, username, password) are listed there.