CHMOD'ing a directory

Ok. So I have a web server on my computer. I also have php and all that jazz installed because I use a forum just like this.

I want to install this news bulletin called "Cute News"

The third step it tells me to do is to CHMOD all the files in a certain directory to "777"

Now, I'm not going to lie, I haven't done a thorough search for this; because every topic I looked on about CHMOD'ing nobody replied to or the reply had nothing to do with it. I'm not saying all of them are like that. Just the first 5 I opened.

I am not ashamed to say I'm a newbie at this. I don't know exactly what CHMOD'ing does. But from what I gathered I am assuming it allows the webmaster to disable viewing of a file through the folder view?

I don't know how to CHMOD with Smart FTP, that's my problem here. I looked at the tutorial for it on the website. But, alas, the version the tutorial was made for isn't the same one I'm using (I'm using v1.5, the tutorial shows v1.0) so I don't see the options it shows.

Bottom line: How do I CHMOD a file/directory in Smart FTP v1.5?

Thanks for reading.

The way this is done has not changed since versions: Right-click on a file / folder and set the permissions. If you select multiple files / folders, a different dialog appears with a checkbox to do it all recursively.

Which one of these options sets "Permissions?"

LOL, none ;-) You're right-clicking on files within the Local Browser, i.e. files on your hard disk. CHMOD'ing refers to remote files (i.e. files on the server) only. Connect to an FTP server, right-click on any file / folder there, choose Properties / CHMOD from the context menu, and enter "777" into the Permissions field.

Hi,

Your HTTP/FTP server is on your local machine, right ? You are running Windows, right ? CHMOD is a *nix command. So you don't need to do this step.

CHMOD change the access permissions (read, write, exection/traversal) of a file/directory under *nix. Under Windows NT (and XP) and only if you use a NTFS file system (FAT hasn't security attributs), you can change the access permission using the "Property" dialog box of a file/directory, "Security" tab. But, Windows XP Home Edition don't allow you (by default) to change the security of a file/directory. The default permissions under Windows will allow you to run your script (not really good...).

Regards,

Olivier

Hi,

Your HTTP/FTP server is on your local machine, right ? You are running Windows, right ? CHMOD is a *nix command. So you don't need to do this step.

CHMOD change the access permissions (read, write, exection/traversal) of a file/directory under *nix. Under Windows NT (and XP) and only if you use a NTFS file system (FAT hasn't security attributs), you can change the access permission using the "Property" dialog box of a file/directory, "Security" tab. But, Windows XP Home Edition don't allow you (by default) to change the security of a file/directory. The default permissions under Windows will allow you to run your script (not really good...).

Regards,

Olivier

I think I got lost in your explanation. Don't give up on me though. You had me interested. The web server is on my computer, yes. I don't know exactly what FTP even does, or if I have an FTP server within my web server, or if that even makes sense. Because I don't know what FTP does.

So...you said I don't need to CHMOD these files to install Cute News?

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I already learned something new from this website and also added this awesome spell check feature to my phpBB forum as well. 8)

Hi,

Okay, in short: under Microsoft Windows, you don't need CHMOD. Go to the next step of your installation.

Olivier

Sweet. It worked. Thanks guys.