router

hi
I like to use SmartFTP tried it but no connection was made! I have a router (still learning it) (DLink di604) I can't get though it with internal firewall to my cable modem. Can you help me on this?

thx Gadgetmurf
p.s email is gadgetmurf49@hotmail.com 8)

Try opening port 21 for FTP.

read this https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/prob ... l-f60.html and let me know if it worked for you.

Article 060 Created 29 Apr 2002
Modified 22 Nov 2002
Hits 15648

Here is a possible problem with SSL and a firewall.
NAT (Network Address Translation) is not the only issue preventing you from using SSL/FTP with a firewall.

The firewall is usually configured to deny inbound connections to the FTP server using any port other than port 21. Under PASV FTP, the firewall that protects the server needs to be able to see the un- encrypted response to the PASV command in order to allow inbound connectivity to the server on a dynamic port (i.e., ports other than 21).

This step will fail when PASV mode is used because the FTP Control session is encrypted. The new inbound FTP Data connection will arrive at the firewall and will be denied because it cannot be "bound" to an existing FTP Control Session. At that point, NAT had nothing to do with it. NAT only plays a factor in the firewall not being able to read the encrypted PORT and PASV commands and re-write them with the proper IP address and port info when the firewall is performing NAT.