SmartFTP Backup Manager can't find Data directory

When I try to start the SmartFTP Backup Manager, the initial Backup Wizard window appears, but when I select 'Next', I get a message stating that "SmartFTP data directory could not be found, please enter it manually!"

Ckicking on 'OK' brings up a dialog box pointing to C:Documents and SettingsScott HenningerApplication DataSmartFTP

The directory does exist, as does a subdirectory named 'Data'. I also verified that this is the directory in the registry under 'HKCUSoftwareSmartFtpData Path'

Any ideas? Am I missing a step somewhere?
Thanks,
-- Scott

I need some more information.

1. What version of Backup Manager do you use?
2. What is SmartFTP application directory?
3. What did you mean exactly by "Ckicking on 'OK' brings up a dialog box pointing to C:Documents and SettingsScott HenningerApplication DataSmartFTP" ?
4. Is "C:Documents and SettingsScott HenningerApplication DataSmartFTP" really the right directory i.e. it should contain History.dat for example.

bkausbk

1. I am using the version packaged in the latest version of SmartFTP (1.5.988). I used the setup file named SFTPNSI.exe

2. I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean where is SmartFTP located, it's at the normal location, C:Program FilesSmartFTP

3. I'm not sure what more to say. A dialog box pops up with C:Documents and SettingsScott HenningerApplication DataSmartFTP in the Data dictionary text box.

4. "C:Documents and SettingsScott HenningerApplication DataSmartFTP" is really the right directory (see #3). In addition to History.dat, it also includes Custom.dat, Favorites.dat, Folders.dat, History.dat, Queue.dat, and the 'Data' folder (which is empty).

Hmm, I don't know what the problem could be.
I would suggest following:

1. Start Backup Manager and do an Backup
2. after that do a reset and
3. then do a restore

Or just try to delete "Data Path" from registry and try it again.

bkausbk

The problem is that I cannot get a backup started at all. I've never gotten past the first step in the Wizard. Deleting the registry entry for Data Path didn't help.

Please post a screenshot from the dialog pointing to C:Documents and SettingsScott HenningerApplication DataSmartFTP

Thank you.
-Mat

Click on the "..." button next to the "Application directory" input box (2nd one) then select the directory where the SmartFTP.exe is located.

Then click Next to continue.

Regards,
-Mat

If I click on the '...' button, I get:

If I click on the 'Explore' button, I get:

Scott, are you a licensed user? If yes, please post your license key id.

Thank you.
-Mat

No, I am an educational user and was just sent the following message today: "SmartFTP is free for educational purpose. You don't need a license to
use it. The unlicensed version available at our web site is fully
functional."

This forum is only for licensed customers. I've moved your post to the public forum.

Regards,
-Mat