SmartFTP slowing down my computer

Hi, I use SmartFTP since a long time now and never had any trouble before this.

I have Athlon XP 2500+, WinXP sp2 and SmartFTP 1.5.988.20 and when I download or upload from/on FTP it does really slow down my computer... it did never happen with previous version.

can you help me, is it a bug ?
do you need more info ?

sorry I make it short my english very crappy :/

still have the problem with 1.5.988.31, not only when down/up loading, also when listing folders.

at the beginning of the connection it's fine, and then 5/6 listing later it does start to slow down more and more the computer, the only thing I can do then is to disconnect and reconnect.

need help please, or just tell me if it is a known bug

still the same with build 1.5.988.37 :?

Decoding and especially displaying a directory listing of 14 KB (app. 250 files/folders) takes a certain amount of time. The behavior you see is absolutely normal.

The file transfers do not use more than 2% of CPU resources.

Regards,
-Mat

Are you ussing Zone Alarm firewall? another user reportered high cpu ussage with it enabled..

Decoding and especially displaying a directory listing of 14 KB (app. 250 files/folders) takes a certain amount of time. The behavior you see is absolutely normal.

The file transfers do not use more than 2% of CPU resources.

Regards,
-Mat
It does use 90% of CPU when listing all kind of folders, on all the ftp I have, whatever the size and the number of files in the folder, even if the folder is empty.... there is a real problem and I see you are trying to get rid of the question better than trying to fix it 8O

no I am not using Zone Alarm

With the last build on file listing, without firewall the max cpu ussage that i get is 22%.

build 1.5.988.38

still the same : first listing ok, 2,3,4 listings ok... and then uses more and more cpu for next listings

never had trouble with previous version (before 1.5) and firewalls.... strange that now we have... this should be fixed :?

Can you try closing winamp of systray and check the cpu ussage? also if you can test with the firewall closed can help to know what's the issue.

Also, can you paste the result of a tasklist.exe command?

yep no more high cpu usage when I close my firewall (Norton IS 2005)... but you can understand I don't like to close the firewall, right ? :roll:

sorry I don't know what you're meaning by tasklist.exe command :oops:

Can you try if with windows XP firewall you have the same trouble of cpu ussage?

it's ok with Win XP Firewall.... but I hope saying "then just use the WinXP firewall" won't be your fix...

How many folders you are browsing, 100, 1000 or more and how big are the contents of the different folders?

mmm... explaining always the same at each post is starting to get annoying, maybe I should just change my ftp software :?

and maybe you should consider changing your firewall software, too, as using windows firewall seems to solve the problem. have you even thought about the problem being with your firewall and not smartftp? I know you claimed it used to work with previous smarftp versions, but still this is possible.

Dear Oum,

It is very difficult to debug anything with such imprecise details. Perhaps you should consider giving the developers the login info to the FTP server that you are have trouble, so they can check out first hand what the problem is.

If you are positive that previous builds of SmartFTP did not have this problem, maybe you could reinstall them, to pinpoint exactly starting with which build the problem appears. (Request build 984 to the developers.)

Finally, considering you are using a unlicensed version of SmartFTP, your threat of changing FTP is a bit empty. Furthermore it is not going to make things go faster. Programming is like astrology. Bugs only happen when 50 different stars and planets are aligned together ... and it's very hard to figure out which of those stars and planets are relevant, with the

I had explain the problem several times in this post, I gave all the details I could gave, clear explainations, logs, screenshots, etc... I have already told it did not happen with pre-1.5 versions. now i'am tired of this, this is a bug in smartftp, if you don't want to fix it, if you don't care, just tell it.