Getting around the dread "Save As" Browser protoco

Hi, I just downloaded Smart FTP and frankly my decision to purchase the program turns on four issues, for which I appreciate any help. My preferred browser is NETSCAPE 7.2 and I need to know how to set it up so that Smart FTP is in control of the download process, not Netscape. Shareware sites have almost all migrated to the brainless "Save As" protocol by now, and as a result I am deprived of four things:
1. The location (URL) of the file being downloaded
2. Preservation of the file's original DATE
3. Preservation of the file's original TIME
4. Any permanent download log containing the above criteria

Shareware sites typically launch the "Save As" feature when you download a program for evaluation, and I haven't been able to figure out how to override (any) BROWSER's "Save As" and instead launch an FTP client every single time I do a download.

If I could just figure this one thing out, doubtless the above four issues would be solved, since any FTP program worth its salt contains the 3 statistics listed above, stored permanently in a LOG for future retrieval/reference.

Thank you for any help. This has been eating away at me for quite some time now and I'm finally going to do something about it.

MC