Newbie question, nothing happens.....

I've just installed smartFTP, I've entered the host number, login and password. I click on Connect and nothing happens. I'm assuming a new remote window will open up but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
Also the Connect icon has a red cross.
T

Are you sure you're not confusing the connect icon with the disconnect icon? Because the connect icon (at the very left) IMHO never changes its appearance to contain a red cross, that's how the disconnect button looks like. So you probably are pressing the wrong button or have entered the wrong settings. You could post a screenshot with your (or slightly modified, for security) settings and mark the button you're pressing.

Thanks, eyebex for the reply. Tell me how do I post the screenshot?
The far left icon, the connect icon, is the one that has a small red cross on it. This is the same red cross through the icon as in the tutorial called-CONNECT. When I click on the connect icon, I notice at the very, very left hand bottom I get a little icon that looks like a plug going into a globe of the world. During this time the page remains grey with no tree view, no list view and no log view. Its sure irritating, when you read and go through the tutorials before you install, so you get it right the first time, and then you run into a problem. I am sure its something simple but I could not find it going through previous threads on problems.
Oh, by the way, I don't know if this is important, but I did a Typical Install and the FTP is Normal FTP.
Thanks

Do you have a dial-up internet connection (i.e. no DSL or permanent LAN connection)?

BTW: I just watched the "Connect" tutorial. Even there, the connect icon has no red cross through the icon for me. The connect icon looks like this:
So you see there is no red cross, but a yellow / red star across it.

You're right, its so small, its hard to tell.
I have DSL.
How did you post the icon or even a screenshot here?

I used a third-party screen-capture program, which I uploaded to a private website of mine. Then I used the IMG tags to refer to that image on my website.
Try entering "ftp.smartftp.com" in the address bar, checking "Anonymous" at the very right and hit the connect button. Does that work for you?

Well, in the address, I am entering a series of digits I was given along with login, and a password. The Anonymous box I have been leaving unchecked.
Am I not waiting long enough, or what do you think is the problem?

The remote window should pop up immediately after pressing connect, so I do not think you're not waiting long enough. I think the problem is either that the IP address (which should look like 123.456.789.123, that is 4 times 1 to 3 digits with dots in between) you're entering is wrong or that you have a generall network problem (Which is why I asked you to connect to the public SmartFTP server for testing, have you done so successfully?).

I will let you know when I get home. I know the IP address is typed correctly because I checked that before I connected to make sure it everything would go smoothly, which of course it didn't. Even if I incorrectly typed the wrong address I would get some sort of error message, eg: unrecognized host or incorrect host, no?
I am using WinXP and I am wondering if there something there that would need checking.
Anyway if the testing works under anonymous, this would mean what?

Eyebex, it works with ftp.smartftp.com and anonymous, but not when I use the series of numbers, usename and password.
So what do you think?

Okay, so basically Internet access and FTP'ing works. There must be something wrong about the number you're entering. But I have no clue why nothing happens wehn you press connect, as you state. Even if I enter complete garbage as an address, the connection / remote window pops up for me. I'm sorry, I'm not able to help you unless you post a screenshot with the settings you're using. You can PM me if you do not like to expose your settings to the public here in the forum.