CHMOD Resets

I have been having a huge problem with setting CHMODs for html files and folers. Everytime I set the permissions, set another permission, and then go back to the preivous set permission, SmartFTP resets to the default. I would like to know how to permanently change my CHMOD permissions without them resetting back to default.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, the most likely is that your server is a windows server, if it's true you can't use chmod because windows don't allows it.

Ahh. Ok thank you.

Bryce,

Hi there. Did Aokromes' response work for you? I'm looking to install Wordpress on Godaddy's free hosting space and am already on a Linux box. Yet I have the same problem as you. SmartFTP keeps returning my CHMOD settings to some default settings...

Any other ideas at all...??

rgds,

Chris

GoDaddy does not use Apache / Linux anymore but switched recently to IIS / Windows. So Aok's response also applies to you, CHMOD is to set Unix rights. It does not work / is not necessary under Windows.

I have been having a huge problem with setting CHMODs for html files and folers. Everytime I set the permissions, set another permission, and then go back to the preivous set permission, SmartFTP resets to the default. I would like to know how to permanently change my CHMOD permissions without them resetting back to default.
Thanks in advance.

I seemed to have a similiar problem a while back. I was on UNIX, not Windows. I concluded at the time that I was seeing some kind of cached response when I viewed the permissions a 2nd time... as the problem seemed to correct itself!? Try hitting [F5] to refresh.

GoDaddy does not use Apache / Linux anymore but switched recently to IIS / Windows. So Aok's response also applies to you, CHMOD is to set Unix rights. It does not work / is not necessary under Windows.

Ok, you're confusing me... My Control Panel on GoDaddy says it is Linux hosted... Why do you say it is not???