Server Does Not LIST -aL

one of our clients is using SmartFTP but he cannot get a file listing from my server. the transcript from my server log shows LIST -aL and when I attempt to ls -aL from my shell ftp client:

ftp> ls -aL
227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,96,101)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for directory listing.
usage: ls [-1ACFRTacdfloqrstu] [file]
226 Transfer complete.

so it appears to the SmartFTP client that the directory is empty, but in fact a response is given, but not an error as the server probably should.

what SmartFTP listing option should he disable?

Easy answer, L (resolve links)

Right. Reason: "L" is not present in the list of supported parameters "[-1ACFRTacdfloqrstu]".

Same problem (but I'm a client). Cannot see file listing, but no error messages in the logs. Disabled " L" parameter from transfer preferences, but nothing changed. :cry:

Same problem (but I'm a client). Cannot see file listing, but no error messages in the logs. Disabled " L" parameter from transfer preferences, but nothing changed.   :cry:

Hi, try to disable all the other settings.

Same problem (but I'm a client). Cannot see file listing, but no error messages in the logs. Disabled " L" parameter from transfer preferences, but nothing changed.   :cry:

Hi, try to disable all the other settings.

Now it works, but...what was the problem? Will I need all those settings (-a, -r) someday?