Uploading problem

For the last three and half months the program has worked perfectly. Now I can access the server, download files, delete files but I cannot upload files. The ISP says he can see the connection but there is no data connection following. The program attempts to send the file but sticks immediately after it starts and the server times out.
Also it appears not to disconnect but remain connected to the server which apparently is odd, even when the program is closed.
Any ideas, the ISP wondered whether it might be a firewall issue?

Edited by SmartFTP
Before reading the thread please see the KB article 2553 at:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/2553

See the thread I started about this. I guess you probably read it anyway.

https://www.smartftp.com/forums/viewtopi ... 4903002766

I'm stumped. It is very frustrating. Given this problem seems to be affecting so many people I assume there will be something announced about it pretty soon? I mean, if loads of people cannot use Smart FTP to update their sites I'd have thought Smart FTP would want to find out what the problem is?

I'm able to upload individual files via my website's control panel, but it's not ideal. Especially when I want to upload a whole folder/directory. And even for individual files it is still far more hassle than using Smart FTP.

Which is a very easy to use and intuitive FTP program :-)

(Flattery gets you everywhere ;-)

Thanks for the link.

It's nice to see we are not alone.

I will try uninstalling the latest upgrades (to W2K) to see if that will rectify the problem

I have deleted the last four MS updates (hotfixes) and the program now works fine!

All I need to do is to work out which hotfix was the culprit.

I've never tried uninstalling a Windows update - I try to avoid fiddling around with that sort of stuff as much as possible.

Not to mention that it must be doing SOMETHING useful (??!!)

What was the update supposed to do? If it's to allow files written in Swahili to open in Powerpoint then I'll live without it - but I suspect it may be more useful/important than that? (No offence to Swahili speakers intended. Or Powerpoint users come to that ;-)

But cheers for the reassurance that this is probably what it is and is probably solvable.

Uninstalling the MS hotfixes is easy, go to Control Panel, choose Uninstall programs and from the list pick the latest patches.
If you cant see which ones are the latest just highlight them and follow the link to the information about them.

The MS hotfix KB893066 was the culprit.

KB893066 was the culprit in my case.

I've just uninstalled it and my FTP is working again. Ironically it warned me that Smart FTP might NOT work properly if I uninstall it! And who says Americans have no sense of irony ;-)

There's a thread on MS's own site which also has loads of people with the same problem - and suggesting uninstalling KB893066 as the solution.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/commun ... us&m=1&p=1

Cheers for advice/comments.

Dead-Solid-Perfect!

I had the same problem and took your advice and... viola! Fixed...

Makes you wonder how Microsoft's new OS (Longhorn) will work.

Hmmm... I saw a movie a long time ago where a rancher had to shoot all of his longhorn cattle because they had caught mad cow disease. Bad omen, maybe?

Anyway, thanks!

help!

i couldnt uninstall the update so i installed the one eyebex linked to and it still fails on everything. i cant even list dir's