Password protecting space

OK slightly new to this, but would it be possible to use Smart FTP to password protect my webspace, as in having to login with a username and password to access my webspace? I have seen it before in other various spaces and was wondering how to do this, or even just protect certain folders on my space.

Thanks

Thanks, but isn't there a utility in Smart FTP that brings up the windows sort of like login screen when you try to access your webspace?
I have tried using .htaccess files and have had no luck creating them. I would just like to have a basic login before entering my webspace, and thought there was a utility in Smart FTP to do this.

There is no such "utility" in SmartFTP, because it has nothing to do with FTP but depends solely on the web server software that is used. Other software than Apache may need something different than a ".htaccess", and there is no way for SmartFTP to tell which web server software is used.

Anyways, if you have problems creating a ".htaccess" file, you may want to try this freeware tool:
http://www.tlhouse.co.uk/HTAccessible.shtml