Problems uploading

I posted this a few days ago but apparently about three days of data were lost so I'll try again!

When I use Smart FTP to upload to my website (hosted with 1&1) I get timeout errors in the log. Something to the effect of "Server failed to respond - connection terminated" (I'll get the correct text of that if it's important).

What happens is I start to upload a file, everything seems OK - it creates (or replaces the existing) file - but then I get that error. This leaves a blank file with 0 bytes on the website.

Oddly, I can upload files less than about 1430 bytes but anything larger than that causes this error. (I've been experimenting with text files.)

This also happens if I try using a different FTP package; I even tried using Internet Explorer.

My host is stumped but wants to rule out my end before they'll investigate it. I ought to add that I've been happily uploading files to this site for about a month (using Smart FTP) before this happened.

Someone on a different thread had a similar problem and suggested that it could be down to some XP updates last week - certainly I installed some updates last week so this is a possibility.

Currently I can only upload to the site by using a File Manager in the website control panel which 1&1 provides. As far as I can see it can't upload whole folders at a time so is a tad unversatile.

Downloading files (such as the log files) doesn't seem to be a problem.

Can anyone throw any light on this? Thanks.

You may want to disable the XP firewall to see if this helps.

-Mat

... so I'm not alone! I'll try disabling the Firewall as advised (just while uploading). I daresay if there's an issue with the latest XP upgrades Microsoft will fix it (me of great faith ;-)

Thanks for the advice. I'll give this a go this evening and shall repost with the result!

i am having the same problem

i cnt turn of the firewallas it says i have to connect to their sic server or sumit liek that then that fails ???

Still got the same errors. I've pasted the relevant bit of the Smart FTP log below in case it's of any use:

SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE
211 End
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (212,227,118,91,236,210).
Opening data connection IP: 212,227,118,91,236,210 PORT: 60626.
LIST -aL
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
3124 bytes received successfully. (3.05 KB/s) (00:00:01).
226 Transfer complete.
CWD /0405
250 CWD command successful.
PWD
257 "/0405" is current directory.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (212,227,118,91,236,214).
Opening data connection IP: 212,227,118,91,236,214 PORT: 60630.
LIST -aL
448 bytes received successfully. (448 B/s) (00:00:01).
226 Transfer complete.
CWD /0405/fixtures
250 CWD command successful.
PWD
257 "/0405/fixtures" is current directory.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (212,227,118,91,236,252).
Opening data connection IP: 212,227,118,91,236,252 PORT: 60668.
LIST -aL
5552 bytes received successfully. (5.42 KB/s) (00:00:01).
226 Transfer complete.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (212,227,118,91,236,255).
Opening data connection IP: 212,227,118,91,236,255 PORT: 60671.
STOR carlisle_h_r.htm
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for carlisle_h_r.htm
7969 bytes sent successfully. (7.78 KB/s) (00:00:01).
Connection closed. Server timeout.
PASV

I'm having hte same problem which I only became aware of this week (haven't FTP'ed for about three weeks). I had been using WS-FTP as a client, and when I encountered problems yesterday assuming it had become corrupt. Reloaded it to no avail, and then downloaded SmartFTP (which I like!). This too stops uploads to both servers which I use with either no data transferred or a minimal amount. I can pull files down from the servers with no problem.

I'm not using the XP firewall, and have tried disabling Zonealarm which has not fixed the problem.

Any advice gratefully received!

I am having the exact same problem - timeouts with any file over about 2K with SmartFTP, CuteFTp and Explorer. My provider is unable to help.

I suspect it is related to the latest XP update, but turning off firewall doesn't help, neither does closing down just about everything else on my computer including Norton.

I would be really grateful for any help as I cannot do anything with my website at the moment because of this.

Thanks,

Im not sure if this is connected.

I have two servers one mersey-lifeboats.org.uk and another with web-mania.com

For some reason no matter what I do, what FTP client I use I can not upload to the latter. I've had my brother in law try from his house and he has no problem.

" STOR index.htm
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for index.htm
6204 bytes sent successfully. (6.06 KB/s) (00:00:01).
Connection closed. Timeout (20s).
PASV
"
This happens with any FTP, its all set up as per webmania's instructions. If this is connected what is the Fix?

Have solved the problem by using FileZilla as suggested in another thread.

Was very slow until I switched on passive mode under firewall settings, then no probs. Back in business now.

I think I've resolved the problem on my network with some help from my ISP (thanks to Demon internet!), at least in WS-FTP. They suggested turning OFF "use passive mode", which sorted me out. I haven't worked out yet how to do this in SmartFTP - perhaps someone could point me in the direction of the relevant settings?

I don't think that this is an XP problem as it happens with an old Win98 machine as well as this XP one. Might be related to Zonealarm as this is the only thing updated recently. Otherwise the only common link is the router (Netgear DG834G) but this hasn't been reconfigured in six months.

Martin/

Found the active / passive switch in SmartFTP. Makes no difference - still can't upload more than a couple of kb or so with it. Still, at least WS-FTP now works!

... I haven't had much time to look into this but it is interesting to see that other people are having similar problems.

Worryingly, I also use the Netgear D834G router. But that hasn't changed in months. It just sits there with its flashing LEDs.

I'm gonna try Filezilla for the sake of trying something.

... Filezilla didn't do it for me. Ensured I set it to Passive mode and that my firewall allowed it (XP SP2). But same problem as all the other packages: times out.

I give up!

Its got to be the netgear Router causing it then.

any suggestions what?

Its got to be the netgear Router causing it then.

any suggestions what?

Try to update the firmware of your router.

I found elsewhere on here a suggestion to remove the last 4 XP hotfixes...

Worked for me.

It's quite strange the Windows XP patches thing.... i have installed SmartFTP on my 2 main boxes, and on the 5 friends with all the patches and we don't get any trouble, with or without the firewall enabled.

John S wrote:... Filezilla didn't do it for me. Ensured I set it to Passive mode and that my firewall allowed it (XP SP2). But same problem as all the other packages: times out.

Tried Filezilla but had to set it to Active mode to work (the same as with WS-FTP).

Now back to square 1

Edit: Windows had reinstalled hotfix i think.

I can confirm that this is definitely Windows XP Updates. I have had exactly the same problem and if I restore to a point before the updates then SmartFTP works fine.

If I then reinstall the updates that have automatically downloaded - then I get the same problem again.

Now the question is: what and why are these updates causing problems for smartftp?

Does the SmartFTP team know why there is an issue?

I've shared all your Problems...Man well peed off. I've over come this Problem Just this Eve!

In my FTP Client I have removed Passive Mode Also I have removed it in the Internet Options Advanced Section.

Tools
Internet Options
Advanced
about half way down See - Use Passive FTP

Uncheck this and make sure it off in your FTP Client and that should be it:

it's working for me:

My Client put's it back on for each upload of a new site etc - So remember to knock it off:

Good Luck

Craig

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Has anyone found a fix for this?
What do you mean? Just uninstall the Windows hotfix as suggested or follow dooglebiz' instructions. That's the fix.

Hey guys,
this is wierd,
I have the exact same modem/router,
and I cant upload more than a 8kb file, before server times out, tried changing the passive settings and no go.
The windows xp settings dont make a diference either.

Well guys,
I set the mode to passive, but half way through uninstalling service pack 2, it started to work, so I dont know what it was, either way its working and im wrapped.

I think I can see a solution to a problem! 8)

I too am using the Netgear DG834G router, with Firmware V1.03.00
I had a permanent failure to be able to upload recently using FTP, and on viewing the Netgear website discovered that this is a known bug with the router.

I have now upgraded to Version 1.05.00 and my problem has been solved. No changes to XP or Service pack 2 are required for me.

Hope this helps you guys.

Jezzer

Having the EXACT same problem with somone who is trying to FTP to our server.

I know little about this stuff...I dont know if the server is trying to connect back to the client via PASV mode, and then this RPC Interface Restriction isnt allowing the connection?!??

Its very frustrating for sure...ill keep checking. Its nice to see that other people are sharing in this misery

RPC Interface Restriction
What does RPC Interface Restriction do?
A number of changes have been made in the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service for Windows XP Service Pack 2 that help make RPC interfaces secure by default and reduce the attack surface of Windows XP. The most significant change is the addition of the RestrictRemoteClients registry key. This key modifies the behavior of all RPC interfaces on the system and will, by default, eliminate remote anonymous access to RPC interfaces on the system, with some exceptions. Additional changes include the EnableAuthEpResolution registry key and three new interface registration flags.

Who does this feature apply to?
This feature applies to RPC application developers. System administrators should also be familiar with this change to RPC.

What new functionality is added to this feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2?
RestrictRemoteClients Registry Key
Detailed description

When an interface is registered using RpcServerRegisterIf, RPC allows the server application to restrict access to the interface, typically through a security callback. The RestrictRemoteClients registry key forces RPC to perform additional security checks for all interfaces, even if the interface has no registered security callback.

RPC clients that use the named pipe protocol sequence (ncacn_np) are exempt from all restrictions discussed in this section. The named pipe protocol sequence cannot be restricted by default, due to several significant backwards compatibility issues.

The RestrictRemoteClients registry key can have one of three DWORD values that can also be controlled programmatically in rpcdce.h. If the key is not present, it is equivalent to setting the DWORD=1 value (RPC_RESTRICT_REMOTE_CLIENT_DEFAULT).

Key reference

Key name: RestrictRemoteClients

Type: DWORD  

Configurable through User Interface: Yes. This key can be configured using the Group Policy Object Editor.  

Default value: 1

Meaning: This value is the default value in Windows XP Service Pack 2. Restricts access to all RPC interfaces. All remote anonymous calls are rejected by the RPC runtime. This corresponds to the value RPC_RESTRICT_REMOTE_CLIENT_DEFAULT in rpcdce.h. If an interface registers a security callback and provides the RPC_IF_ALLOW_CALLBACKS_WITH_NO_AUTH flag, then this restriction does not apply to that interface.

Value: 0

Meaning: Causes the system to bypass the RPC interface restriction.  This corresponds to the value RPC_RESTRICT_REMOTE_CLIENT_NONE in rpcdce.h. It is entirely the responsibility of the server application to impose appropriate RPC restrictions. This setting is equivalent to the behavior in previous versions of Windows.

Value: 2

Meaning: All remote anonymous calls are rejected by the RPC runtime with no exemptions. This corresponds to the value RPC_RESTRICT_REMOTE_CLIENT_HIGH in rpcdce.h. When this value is set, a system cannot receive remote anonymous calls using RPC.

Why is this change important? What threats does it help mitigate?

It is much more difficult to attack an interface if you require calls to perform authentication, even a relatively low level of authentication. This is a particularly useful mitigation against worms which rely on exploitable buffer overruns that can be invoked remotely through anonymous connections.

What works differently?

If your RPC application expects to receive calls from remote anonymous RPC clients, this change might not allow your application to run correctly. As a result, applications that use DCOM might not work correctly if this value is set.

Because secure RPC calls over connectionless protocols such as UDP and IPX (ncadg_ip_udp and ncadg_ipx) use a lower level of security than calls over connection-oriented protocols these calls are always considered non-secure for the purposes of this policy. As a result, RPC calls over connectionless protocols will fail by default in Windows XP SP2.  

To allow RPC client calls using connectionless protocols set the RestrictRemoteClients value to 0 (RPC_RESTRICT_REMOTE_CLIENT_NONE).

How do I resolve these issues?

There are three options to resolve these issues. These options are listed in order of preference.

BTW ~ At least 1 person having this problem, has a Linksys router...not a netgear. Not sure really whats going on. Not eliminating that its something with router..but just saying that its not a NETGEAR only issue.

We have also unchecked the "USE PASSIVE FTP.." in the advanced options of IE...still no luck.

*EDIT
Guess i should read the stickys

https://www.smartftp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8760

I had exactly the same problem as all of you. I downloaded the new firmware version from the netgear website and all works perfectly now with no changes to Windows.

I had much the same problems as many of you.

My testing showed that text files up to 1452 Bytes long would be uploaded fine, anything bigger would not. Downloads of any size were fine. I tried IE, Coffee Cup, HTML-Kit, WS-FTP, and the only thing that worked was the File Manager from 1&1's control panel, but that's not easy to use for anything more than a few files.

A common theme was developing though, and having stumbled on this forum through a search on Google, I started to look at the router issue very seriously. I have a Trend TEW-435BRM that I had simply unpacked and installed some 3 months ago. I didn't even realise I had a problem with FTP until 6 weeks ago when I came to upload the next set of changes to a site. By this time I had forgotten about the "new" router as everything else was working fine with it.

I then found this thread, and so I went in search of an update from trend.

The update I downloaded has sorted out the problem.

For reference it was following firmware upgrade:

===========================================
File Name: Firmware_TEW-435BRM_40004.ZIP 04-26-2005
TEW-435BRM Firmware version 4.00.04
===========================================

I hope this helps someone else. In any case thanks for being able to help me out.

JC

It's been a while since I last checked this thread out - I see it's still a raging issue!

I've been getting by by using 1&1's control panel or uninstalling the hotfix if I need to do a major upload (which isn't often now the footy season is over - guess what the website's about! ;-)

I've been trying to pluck up the courage to install the firmware upgrade for my Netgear router. I nearly did it just now but then I saw a warning that major upgrades might mean I need to reconfigure it.

I'm a really nervous kinda guy - if I'm going to have to reconfigure my router then I'll need to build up to it slowly ;-)

Has anyone installed the Netgear firmware upgrade (DG834G) and did you need to reconfigure it afterwards?

Cheers!

John

The Trendnet router that I have has a "save configuration settings as a cfg file" under Administration>Config File>giving several further options allowing you to:

1 Save a copy of current settings.
2 Restore saved settings from a file, and
3 Revert to Factory Default Settings

Does the Netgear have something similar?

If it does, try saving the config file first just to get the hang of how it works and to get your your confidence up a bit. I was able to look at the contents of my config file using Notepad allowing me to see some familiar contents, IP addresses, email address, password, WiFi channel selection etc. This may give you some courage!

Choosing option 1 for you means that all your configuration settings - simply the settings that the firmware uses to run with - would be safely stored on your hard drive and you could upload them again straight away if the config settings were cleared. The only case where this would not work is if the upgrade documentation specifically stated that configuration data sets were incompatible - unlikely, but remotely possible, or Netgear did not realise, again unlikely. Nontheless the settings would still be available to you (if you can save the router config file from the router).

Best of luck

Let us know how it goes - always assuming it works, if it doesn't you won't be able to!!! In which case send a postcard......

JC

I am getting same problem with uploading, server times me out and even though it shows transfer, page is blank. I have a Belkin router on wireless network so it ain't the router. I'm not the only one with the problem. I had no problem until about one week ago uploading

JavidC

Cheers for the reassurance! Netgear firmware v1.05 safely installed :-)

Thanks for the tip about saving my settings as a CFG file, I found a bit for that and did so. Although in the event it remembered my settings.

And what's more - A test file just uploaded via my SmartFTP!!

Good grief! Well I'm glad that's sorted.

peteralt

Are you sure it's not your router? I don't really understand what has been fixed in my router's firmware but obviously that MS Hotfix has done something to knock out a lot of people's FTP access - and it seems to be people using routers that are affected.

Check to see if Belkin have released a new firmware for your model. Or check out any messageboards frequented by Belkin users to see if any of them are getting the same problem.

Good luck.

FYI

I have the same problem as John S and I also have a netgear D834G router

darragh

Update your firmware, it worked for me.

I can confirm that an upgrade to the Netgear Router worked successfully.

Hi everyone

I'm not sure I'm entitled to be here as I'm not using SmartFTP (the software app I'm using has its own system) but I have exactly the same ftp problem as John S with a Netgear DG834G after installation of XP SP2.

Having done a great deal of troubleshooting to no avail, it looks as though my solution could be the router firmware upgrade. However, I too am a bit nervous - my first attempt to upgrade firmware to my current version (1.03.00) resulted in a dead router! Fortunately for me this proved to be due to a known bug and the router was replaced for me, but it doesn't stop me being nervous this time round.

Still, since I need to use ftp every single day, I really shall have to bite the bullet and get on with it. Everything else has already been tried.

Thanks to everyone on the thread - I appreciate having been able to read of others' experiences with this problem.

Julie

Perhaps my experience will help someone else. You can read about my upload symptoms here...

https://www.smartftp.com/forums/after-as ... t9731.html

...and recognize obvious similarities to this thread. To summarize, I had the same problems as everyone here - except I use Win2000 Pro SP4 - and a LinkSys router. Disabling the router firewall had no effect (as expected). I use no software firewall. However, like others, I HAD just done a bunch of Windoze updates.

SOLUTION:
1. Uncheck the "Use Passive FTP..." under the Advanced tab in IE properties.
2. Disable Passive FTP in SmartFTP either by menu or toolbar.

As soon as I did -BOTH- of these, I was uploading like before the <W> updates. Thankfully, I didn't have to figure out -which- of the gazillion updates was the culprit, nor have to uninstall it.

Hope that saves someone else some time,
Ken Lundberg