Problems connecting to SSL FTP

Hi, all.

I've been using SmartFTP for ages on other FTPs with no problems. However, I've now got to connect to an FTP that uses SSL... and I'm having no luck.

If I use FTP over SSL (Implicit), I get this error:

Connected. Exchanging encryption keys...
SSL Error
An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
Connection closed.

If I use Explicit, I get this:

Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

I'm sure the username, password, port and address are right.

I've tried connecting in both Passive and Active modes (same error). I also tried opening some ports in my Router and setting SmartFTP to use them (no difference).

I've tried fiddling around with all the SSL-related options in SmartFTP's config, but none of these seem to make any difference.

I really have no idea why SmartFTP is not connecting just because this FTP is using SSL.
I've tried other FTP Clients (FlashFXP and CuteFTP) and got the same problem (though differently-woreded errors), so I'm fairly sure it's a problem related to setting up the client to work properly with my connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this problem? It's fairly important that I get some files and if I can't connect at home, I'll have to lug myself to a friend's house to do it, which will require leaving the house (zomg)

Thanks, all

Between the word Address and where you actually type the address for the server, there is an icon you can click. It changes the connection type between normal, Implicit SSL and Explicit SSL.

If that doesn't help, nor work in other FTP clients, then it's server side that is having a problem.

Probably a NAT issue. Server may be behind a firewall, plus you may be accessing from behind a firewall.

Usually the server operator has not opened a port range above 1024 to allow the server to respond to passive requests.