Problem with ASCII Mode when uploading *.js files

When i upload javascript files and use your default settings (ASCII for *.js files) I get a corrupted file. The file size becomes smaller and the line breakes are elliminated, therefore corrupting the file.

When i upload the file using Dreamweaver i I think it chooses ASCII mode, and it works fine.

I am wondering why *.js files are defaulted to the ASCII mode for javascript files. Are all ASCII modes the same?

Hello ...

Download the latest SmartFTP build from:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Then go to Settings->Transfer->ASCII/Binary and click on "Set Defaults"

This should remove everything but .pl files form the ASCII list.

Regards,

Thanks for your response. My *.js files are transferring correctly now. I'm still confused about Binary mode vs ASCII mode though.

in binary mode, files are transferred as-is. in ascii mode, automatic line-end conversion is performed. different plattforms use different line-ends for text files. under dos / windows CR/LF is used, under unix / linux only LF, under mac only CR. so if you upload a text file from a windows pc to a server running under linux, CR/LF (two characters) gets replaced by LF (one character), which is why the file becomes smaller on the server.

ASCII mode causes troubles in general. Its only useful if your text editor (e.g. notepad) on windows doesn't understand "unix" like formatted text files (with n only). If you are using a prof. editor as UltraEdit et al, there is absolutely no need to transfer the files in ascii mode.

Regards,

Then why does SmartFTP default most text based files to the ANSCII mode?

This has been great help by the way. Thanks.

Hello ...

This has been changed in the latest builds. Nobody is perfect :-)

-Mat