Upload only newer files?

Is it possible to have SmartFTP overwrite a duplicate file on the server if the one being uploaded is newer than the only already on the server?

Hi, sorry but that's not posible.

Uhh, last time I checked you could overwrite existing files with the same file name. I do it all the time on my site to reduce down-time on site pages. All I do is just select upload --> direct --> select files and then select the files I want to be uploaded. If any files with the same file names already exist on the server, SmartFTP just asks me if it should overwrite, skip or abort. Select overwrite and it overwrites the old file with the new file.

That is too bad. What I would like to do is store all of my website files/folders in one main folder and then upload the entire folder. That way any changes I make to any of the pages are updated. However, in order to reduce upload times and bandwidth usage I would like to only update the files that need it.

Does anyone here know of a tool that would allow me to do such a thing?

Thanks

Being able to only overwrite "older" files would be extremely useful. I'm currently using some of my webspace as a backup area for RAW image files. When uploading and downloading them i don't want to have to reup/download the whole 1gb folder each time just the ones that have changed, without having to go through and manually select what could be anything from 1 to 50 different files.

Is this a feature we could expect in the future?

Add me to the list of those wanting "upload only newer" files. I just came over to Smart FTP from FileZilla because of all of the great features Smart FTP offers (one being recursive CHMOD, i.e. all sub-folders too), but I use the FileZilla "Overwrite if newer" feature in every single upload I do. I'll look forward to switching to Smart FTP once they offer that feature--as I can't do without it.

Otherwise, fantastic software!

Well, maybe the new feature of monitorize local file for the queue scheduler can help you, you add few files to queue, schedule and monitorize change, if the local file changes it's uploaded.

If you use a decent FTP server software which supports a hash function (XCRC, XMD5, ...) the file is only uploaded if the local file is different from the remote file. Comparing the files by the file time only works reliable if the server supports MLST/MLSD and MDTM to set the file time. Another problem would be the time zone of FTP server if the file time is not based on UTC.
Most if not all FTP servers developed for Windows already support features which eliminate the problem. In comparison most FTP servers available for U*nix don't. In conclusion you will only run into the problem you mentioned if you are uploading to a FTP server with limited features (no hash function, local file time, no way to set file time) on U*nix.

We will try to find a way to enhance the current file exist logic to achieve what you are looking for.

Regards,
-Mat