New user, help needed

Hi.
I have installed SmartFTP so that I can transfer files from my pc to my various friends' pc's.
I'm fairly literate when it comes to pc stuff but this has confused the hell out of me.
How do I go about setting it up so we can exchange files and can I set a password?

Does the other user need the same program in order to access my files?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Iainmax

Hi iainmax - it sounds like you might want to look for 'peer to peer' software? You want to share files with your friend right?

I guess it's a personal choice whether you let someone access your computer files or not... but if you don't want to actually let him access your computer, then you'll need some webspace (a server ) to upload your folders/files to, and then your friend can login to the server and download the folders/files, and vice versa...

Cheers,

Kathy

Kathy...thanks.
May Santa be good to you.

Hi Kathy,

It's my brother in law.I want to be able to send files i've downloaded to him.I know people have used FTP software to exchange files.I just need to know how to do this using SmartFTP.

Any further suggestions are much appreciated.

Happy Xmas.

Iainmax

Hi iainmax - ah I see.. you should be able to trust your brother-in-law I should imagine I know I personally like to have things locked down

<Commands <Sharing and Security <Sharing and go from there I should think ... good luck!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy,

I'll try it later when the young un's in bed.

Cheers

Iain